Dartford (1) – QPR Development Squad (1) – Rangers Exit the London Senior Cup 4-5 on Penalties

London Senior Cup Second Round

Team: Salamon, Leahy, Tuck, Akpata, Hawkins, Shann, Adomah, Talla, Bala, Pedder, Anthony

Subs: Cant, Murphy, Sackey, Petrie, Hamid

Attendance: 235

On a very wet night at the Princes Park Stadium, included in the starting line-up was Tyrone Akpata from West Ham.

The home side provided the first attempt on goal in under a minute, when Olly Box was put through, he proceeded to shoot wide of the far post.

Then, after Fumnaya Shomotun had cut in, his effort was comfortably held by Matteo Salamon.

In the 8th minute, Rafferty Pedder got himself near to the bye-line, and his shot from close range was kept out by the keeper’s knees.

Paul Furlong was forced into making a change on 22 minutes when he brought on Harry Murphy after Casey Shann had limped off.

Rangers took the lead after 31 minutes. Henry Hawkins knocked the ball into the net from inside the six-yard box following Steven Bala’s cross after Albert Adomah had broken away.

A minute later, Matteo Salamon made an excellent save at the near post from Fumnaya Shomotun’s attempt at goal.

After Rafferty Pedder was fouled just outside the box, the free kick hit the wall and Lorent Talla’s follow up was aimed directly at the keeper.

Dartford equalised after 36 minutes when Tom Wray’s long ball found Luke Coulson and the No.7 continued his run before firing the ball into the back of the net.

Mr Breen booked Manny Adebowale after he had brought down Steven Bala 30 yards or so from goal. Two added minutes were indicated and at half-time it remained all-square.

Into the second-half and in very-heavy driving rain, Rangers went close to taking the lead. Albert Adomah’s initial shot was kept out by Tom Wray’s legs and Rafferty Pedder’s follow up header just evaded the crossbar.

The R’s continued to dominate proceedings and after Tom Wray had spilled a shot, Rafferty Pedder couldn’t quite reach the ball to finish.

On 65 minutes, Kieran Petrie was introduced at the expense of Micah Anthony.

Three minutes later, Matteo Salamon made a superb double-save to keep the scores level.

After Lorent Talla was pulled down close to the ‘D’, the free kick flew over the bar. Then, following Rafferty’s Pedder’s corner, Steven Bala shot over.

On 84 minutes, Albert Adomah’s angled shot resulted in him sliding behind and taking a heavy knock. This led to Samuel Sackey replacing him.

At the other end shortly after, Matteo Salamon made an outstanding save with his feet from Olly Box at the near post. Then three minutes later, Jake Leahy cleared the ball off the line from the same player.

Following five additional minutes, at the final whistle it went straight to penalties.

Rafferty Pedder took the first one and his shot hit the upright. As all subsequent spot-kicks were converted, it was Dartford who would go on to face Cray Wanderers in the quarter-finals next month.

Steve Russell