QPR U18 (5) – Charlton Athletic U18 (5)

U18 Professional Development League 2 

Team: Clark, Putman, Adjetey-Brew, Tuck, Leahy, Street, Coomes, Hamid, Sutton, Kennedy, Bouhiaoui 

Subs: Loades, Young, Neill, Lawrence, Hayati 

On an overcast morning at Heston, it was the R’s who got off to an assertive start. 

Emmerson Sutton’s strike from just outside the box was palmed behind by the Charlton keeper.  

Then, a short corner found Jaiden Putman and the Rangers No.2’s shot, whizzed just past the upright.  

At the other end, Harmony Okwumo let fly and Conor Clark finger-tipped the ball onto the post.  

On 19 minutes, Jake Coomes met a cross from the left and the R’s No.7’s half-volley hit the underside of the bar. Some of the QPR players claimed that the ball had crossed the line after it had been cleared, but Mr Stetakovic wasn’t interested.  

However, the home side took the lead a few minutes later. Alfie Tuck’s corner was flicked on, and Emmerson Sutton was on hand to get the final touch. 

Charlton really should have equalised after Jaiden Putman’s block had set up Kai Enslin but the Addicks No.7, in space, put the ball wide. 

The game was held up due to an injury to the referee. Linesman Mr Unuafe then took his place and I think it was one of the officials from the U16’s match who came over to replace him. 

Rangers doubled their lead courtesy of captain, Jake Leahy, following a corner.  

After Jake Coomes had bombed down the flank, the R’s winger cut in and his cross found Rico Kennedy, who then fired his shot from over 20 yards, but James Batt’s flying save kept it out. Half-time: 2-0. 

Micah Hyde introduced Fraser Neill at the expense of Ramy Bouhiaoui for the start of the second-half.  

Following a corner, Alfie Tuck played the ball to Hassan Hamid, and the QPR No.8’s low shot was pushed onto the post by the Addicks keeper.  

The visitors pulled a goal back in the 50th minute when Luke Ashburn’s close-range header from Kai Enslin’s corner evaded Conor Clark.   

Two minutes or so later, Fraser Neill put the R’s further ahead. Emmerson Sutton’s initial shot was blocked by Mason Hunter, but the R’s substitute was well placed to finish. 

And it was 3-2 a couple of minutes after that, when Jacob Safa curled his shot from 18 yards into the bottom corner. 

Around the hour-mark, Jake Coomes found Emmerson Sutton, who proceeded to slot the ball in the net from close-range. 

The goal-scoring bonanza continued on 63 minutes. After collecting Patrick Casey’s pass, Ibrahim Fullah raced down the left-flank, the R’s defender slipped, and the Charlton winger picked his spot. 

It became 4-4 after 67 minutes. Although Patrick Casey’s effort was cleared it was adjudged to have crossed the line.  

A couple of minutes later, Tyler Young replaced Jaiden Putman.  

The visitors took the lead for the first time in the 73rd minute after Conor Clark had fouled Emmanuel Sol-Loza in his attempt to clear the ball from a loose back-pass.  

Not surprisingly the referee awarded a penalty and Patrick Casey made no mistake with his spot-kick. 

Amazingly, the R’s equalised after 80 minutes when Rico Kennedy scored the goal of the game with a superb strike into the top-right corner.  

Teddy Lawrence was brought on for Jake Coomes late in the game and as Rangers went all-out for the winner, at the final whistle, it remained all-square at 5-5. 

Steve Russell