Worthing FC Women (1) – QPR FC Women (1)  

FA Women’s National League Division One (South-East) 

Team: Melling, Curr, Searle, Blodgett, Lewin, Owen, Hill, Akerman, McCrea, Stanley, Petit 

Sammy and I met up with Ron Hill at Victoria Station for the trip to Worthing. 

The first shot of the game was provided by the away side after the Rebels had given the ball away. Grace Stanley’s attempt was then comfortably held by Lauren Dolbear. 

It was the home side who had the best of the next 30 minutes or so. Some excellent defending by Georgie Lewin was displayed when she superbly killed a dangerous high ball in the box before laying it off.  

As Rangers picked up their game, on 37 minutes, Grace Stanley’s cross/shot from the corner of the penalty area flashed just wide of the upright. 

Then, following good work by Renai McCrea, Ellie Searle got to the bye-line, where her strike was saved. 

Approaching the interval, Worthing’s No.19 was booked after a naughty challenge on Kasha Petit. Half-time: 0-0. 

Steve Quashie brought on Mya Francis-Pownall in goal for the start of the second-half. 

After a fairly-even opening, Rangers took the lead on 58 minutes. Katie Akerman’s in-swinging free kick from close to the corner flag, came off Jo Blodgett’s head before entering the net. 

The R’s were denied a penalty on two successive occasions after Grace Stanley had been knocked over twice in the box! 

However, the home side equalised just a few minutes later when Shannon Albuery’s well struck half-volley from a widish position, evaded the R’s keeper. 

On 70 minutes, Laura Hennessy replaced Katie Akerman and five minutes later Emilia Nygaard-Parsons was introduced at the expense of Kasha Petit.  

Worthing could well have won it from a one-on-one situation. Gemma Worsfold’s effort came to nothing after Mya Francis-Pownall had made a comfortable save. 

At the other end, after Ellie Searle had bombed down the left-wing, her cross into the box found Grace Stanley, but the R’s striker’s glancing header lacked power. 

The Reds had another good opportunity to take the lead, but Chloe Winchester’s effort was headed off the line by Alice Curr.  

Six added minutes were indicated and at the final whistle it remained a 1-1 draw. 

The final two changes were made after 81 minutes, when Ailish Carolan and Frankie Webster came on for Izzy Owen and Renai McCrea respectively. 

Steve Russell