From 1905: QPR (2) – Millwall Athletic (1) 

Southern Professional Charity Cup 1st Round​

Team: Collins, Lyon, Newlands, Bowman, Hitch, Cross (J), Downing, Stewart, Rolandson, Bevan, Singleton

Attendance: 4,000

For the first round of the Southern Professional Charity Cupin 1904, QPR were drawn against the holders, Millwall. 

On 26th October, the two sides initially drew 1-1 at Park Royal. This was followed in November by another 1-1 draw in South London.

So, it was decided that the tie would be switched in December to a neutral venue. The two teams played out yet another 1-1 draw at Tottenham’s ground.

For the fourth meeting on the 15th February 1905, the match reverted back to the Agricultural Showground in Park Royal.The following match report appeared in ‘The Sportsman’ the next day:

‘It has taken these clubs a very long time to settle their difference in the Southern Charity Competition, but, after drawing three times at one goal each, matters were adjusted at Park Royal yesterday, the Rangers qualifying to meet Reading in the semi-final. 

It was a hard, bustling game, devoid of fine points, but redeemed from mediocrity by the earnestness of the players. 

Unfortunately, penalty kicks played a prominent part, a goal to each side accruing from infringements of Law 15. 

The teams were not quite at full strength, the Rangers lacking W. Cross, Murphy, and Millward, while a notable absentee from the Millwall side was Calvey. 

In the first-half the play was of a fairly even nature, although the Rangers set up the more dangerous attacks.

After Bradbury had sent in a capital shot on receiving from Jones, Downing had hard lines at the other end by striking the crossbar.

Proudfoot was very prominent at half-back for Millwall, and Stewart once had a good chance for the Rangers but missed rather badly. He endeavoured to make amends by a brilliant breakaway, which he wound up by just screwing the ball outside.

Singleton, Bevan and Hitch all made good efforts, but at the interval nothing had been scored. 

Seven minutes after the resumption, a penalty was given against Proudfoot for tripping Bevan, and with the resultant penalty kick, J. Cross scored the first goal for the Rangers.

This reverse apparently upset the Millwall players, who, for some time, gave a very moderate display. 

The home team, without playing a polished game, showed plenty of dash, and eventually Bevan ran through in splendid style. He made a swift shot, which Joyce managed to stop, but was unable to clear, and by following up, Bevan headed into the net. 

Millwall made some good efforts to get on terms, but never looked like saving the match. 

Six minutes from the close, J. Cross was penalised for handling, and Proudfoot successfully negotiated the penalty kick, the result being: Queen’s Park Rangers, two goals: Millwall, one.

The attendance numbered about 4,000, the receipts being officially returned at £84 7s 9d.

The rules of the competition stipulate that expenses be deducted from the gross receipts, the clubs then taking one-third each, and the remaining third going to the Charity Fund.’

Rangers went on to meet Reading in the semi-final.

Steve Russell

(Shown above is the Rangers half-back, J. H. Cross. Thanks to Colin Woodley and Dennis Samuels for their assistance)