QPR B (1) – Wigan Athletic U21 (5)

U21 Professional Development League 2

Team: Salamon, Pedder, Harrack, Rossi, Woodman, Murphy, Ajose, Talla, Kargbo, Kolli, Bala

Subs: Halwax, Sackey, Tuck, Lawrence

With just four Rangers subs named on the team sheet, Rafferty Pedder was surprisingly positioned at right wing-back. Also included in the starting line-up was the departing Ivo Rossi.

The home side fashioned the first shot on target when Rayan Kolli fired directly at the Wigan keeper following Rafferty Pedder’s throw-in.

Then, after an awful challenge on Joseph Ajose, Rafferty Pedder stepped-up to take the free kick from a wide-right position. This resulted in Steven Bala’s cross finding HamzadKargbo and the R’s No.9 shot just wide of the upright. 

Mr Robertson-Tant later booked the QPR striker for a heavy challenge on an opponent.

Rangers were certainly having the best of it, and after LorentTalla provided a great pass to Rayan Kolli, the young R’s No.10, lined up his shot, but then saw his effort blocked and the ball going behind for a corner. 

With two players shadowing him, Joseph Ajose managed to cut-in to the bye-line to send over a great cross, but Kargbocouldn’t quite get his head onto the ball. Half-time: 0-0. 

Into the second-half, and it was the Latics who took the lead when Joe Adams fired the ball into the back of the net following a cross from the left. 

Around the hour-mark, Hamzad Kargbo smashed the ball low into the corner, but the goal was ruled out for offside.

The R’s did equalise on 62 minutes after Rayan Kolli had set-up Joseph Ajose. The R’s No.7 went on to evade a challenge before shooting past Tom Watson. 

At the other end, the Wigan captain, Scott Smith, belted the ball from outside the box, which forced a flying save from Matteo Salamon.

Then, Jack Reilly knocked the ball to Joe Adams who went on to shoot just wide of the near-post. 

Rafferty Pedder absolutely smashed the ball goalwards and Tom Watson did really well to keep it out. 

Wigan took the lead when, Joe Adams, in space, turned and fired the ball into the roof of the net from close range. 

Harry Murphy was blatantly pushed and then it looked as if he was then kneed in the back, which certainly warranted a yellow card!

Deon Woodman went down in need of some attention and after being helped off, he threw the captain’s armband to Hamzad Kargbo. 

Seconds later and with Rangers down to ten men, the Latics went further ahead when Kai Payne hammered the ball into the net from close range.

Then, minutes later, not only were three players brought on, Teddy Lawrence, Alfie Tuck and Samuel Sackey, but three others were taken off, still leaving the R’s one short!

Youssef Chentouf added a fourth goal with Rangers still playing with ten men. The only other player on the bench was goalkeeper Harry Halwax.

With the referee and lino in debate about something and Kayden Harrack looking as if he was asking the bench what was going on? (as we all were!), Joseph Ajose was eventually allowed to return!

A great run by Hamzad Kargbo concluded with the R’s striker’s shot bouncing off the upright. 

There was still time for Chris Sze to score another goal for the visitors. 

A heavy defeat that had descended into farce in the latter stages.

Steve Russell