QPR FC Women (1) – Hashtag United Women (4)

FA Women’s National League Division One (South East)

Team: McLean, Gunn, Carolan, Bishop, Akerman, Johnson, Webster, Searle, Petit, Stanley, Nygaard-Parsons

For their final home match of the Season, Ramandeep Dole concluded his programme notes with this: ‘The R’s would like to thank Hanwell Town for their hospitality this season, we could not ask for a better venue to play football. We would also like to thank the fans for your amazing support throughout the season.’

The pre-match drizzle stopped just before kick-off and It was the Essex side who took the lead in the 12th minute. Hayley West’s cross from the left was bundled in by Katherine Canneman (Nutman).

The away team went close to another goal when their No.3, who, after picking up a loose ball, shot just over the crossbar. 

Then, after the Essex side had broken free, Katie McLean advanced and made a very good stop to deny them doubling their lead. 

However, the R’s almost equalised following Katie Akerman’s free-kick, but with the keeper beaten, the shot bounced off the bar. 

Katie Akerman was sin-binned seemingly for dissent. And then soon after, Hashtag went further ahead. Katie McLean had made a great save from their initial effort, but the ball fell into the path of Grace Gillard who made no mistake finishing from close-range. 

With the R’s still a player short, the visitors soon added a third goal courtesy of Hayley West.

Katie McLean denied Hashtag a possible fourth goal when she bravely dived at the feet of an opponent to successfully grab the ball. 

Just before the break, the R’s keeper followed this up with three consecutive saves, but she couldn’t keep out the fourth attempt. Hayley West was well positioned to tap-in her second goal of the afternoon. Half-time: 0-4. 

Rangers pulled a goal back on 54 minutes after Ellie Searle had got to the bye-line. Her cross found Kasha Petit who proceeded to knock the ball in from close-range. 

Grace Stanley just couldn’t quite reach Katie Akerman’sexcellent through-ball and the Hashtag keeper was able to run out in time and clear the danger. 

The away side almost added a further goal when, after the ball had come off the upright, Katie McLean then made an outstanding save. 

Ellen Wardlaw, Nicole Leys and Izzy Owen were all introduced in the second-half. 

With this victory, Hashtag became league champions and at the final whistle their players and fans celebrated accordingly. Congratulations to them. 

Steve Russell