Chesham United Ladies U23 (2) – QPR FC Women U23 (1)

Combined Counties League Women’s Midweek Cup Quarter-Final

Team: Francis-Pownall, Wardlaw, Leys, Carolan, Jordinson, Gunn, Akerman, Owen, Nygaard-Parsons, Moore, Hall

Following the away win at Penn & Tylers Green, the quarter-final was switched from the Powerday Stadium to Chesham. 

The first goalscoring attempt fell to the away side when Lauren Jordinson headed Brogan Moore’s free kick wide of the target. 

Chesham broke away which resulted in Mya Francis-Pownallmaking a great save. The second shot came back from the frame of the goal and the final attempt was well-blocked before the ball was cleared to safety. 

Rangers took the lead following good work down the right, which led to Mel Hall smashing the ball into the back of the net. 

Then, Ellen Wardlaw’s cross/shot was put over the crossbar for a corner. 

As the R’s continued to look for a second goal, Chloe Gunn’s 25-yard strike was palmed behind by Amy Whale.

For the home side, Natalia Makowska had a number of shots at goal, but without success. Half-time: 1-0. 

Into the second-half and Amber Taylor returned in goal for Chesham and it was the home team who started the stronger of the two sides. 

The R’s keeper came flying out to clear a long-ball and ended up colliding with an opponent who then required some on-field attention. 

Steve Quashie brought on Frankie Webster at the expense of Ellen Wardlaw. 

Chesham equalised, courtesy of Natalia Makowska, after seconds earlier, the R’s keeper had kept out a shot with her body. 

At the other end, Brogan Moore laid the ball off to Mel Hall, but her effort went wide of the upright. 

Midway through the half, Chloe Timms fed the dangerous Natalia Makowska who broke away and finished with a powerful strike beyond Mya Francis-Pownall. This was followed by Emilia Nygaard-Parsons being subbed. 

After Rangers had lost possession, Natalia Makowska ran through, but this time her shot finished wide of the target. 

Following a good move, Nicole Leys’s shot from a widishposition came off the far-post. 

The R’s No.3 then saw another attempt come off the upright after a good ball in.

A strong QPR finish but it was Chesham who had the best of the second-half and they went on to meet Eversley & California in the semi-final. 

Steve Russell