Watford U21 (1) – QPR B (0)

U21 Professional Development League 2

Team: Salamon, Woodman, Hawkins, Owens, Gubbins, Dixon-Bonner, Jude-Boyd, Pedder, Kargbo, Bala, De Silva

Subs: Cant, Rossi, Anthony, Murphy, Ajose

The Watford starting line-up included three of their senior players; Joao Ferreira, Christian Kabasele and Britt Assombalonga.

It was the R’s who had the first real opportunity of the afternoon when Steven Bala broke through and his effort finished wide of the upright.

Then, a deep free kick from the right-flank picked out Hamzad Kargbo, but the No.9’s header was saved by Jonathan Macaulay.

At the other end, a long ball found Joao Ferreira, who cut-in and then forced an excellent save by the Rangers keeper at the near-post.

The home side took the lead after around the half-hour mark in controversial circumstances! With two Hornets players clearly offside, the ball was played forward, and the resulting cross was slotted in by Britt Assombalonga.

Following a cross, Hamzad Kargbo set-up Dillon De Silva and the R’s No.11’s low-shot was saved by Jonathan Macaulay.

Then, Adrian Blake saw his strike from inside the box rebound off the post. Half-time: 0-1.

Into the second-half and after Henry Hawkins was impeded 25 yards or so out, Rafferty Pedder’s free kick was headed wide of the target by Hamzad Kargbo.

This left a Watford player grounded and in need of some attention and he then required a bandage to his head plus a change of shirt.

A back-header from a midfield position found Britt Assombalonga and a well anticipated block by Deon Woodman probably denied the home side a second goal.

Rafferty Pedder was fouled from behind and the culprit was shown a yellow card by Mr Farmer.

There was a wonderful moment when Hamzad Kargbo leap-frogged over an opponent to continue his run!

Deon Woodman was booked as was Aidan Coyne shortly after for a foul on Dillon De Silva.

With Rangers looking for an equaliser, Rafferty Pedder burst through into the box where he forced a very good save from the Watford keeper.

Aidan Manning was booked for kicking the ball away as was Jonathan Macaulay later, for the same offence after the R’s had been awarded a corner.

Seconds from the end, after a Watford player had intercepted the ball on the right-flank, he shot forward into the box and ended up shooting wide of the target when he really should have scored!

Paul Furlong had introduced Harry Murphy on 60 minutes at the expense of Elijah Dixon-Bonner, which was followed by Joseph Ajose coming on for Charlie Owens and finally Micah Anthony replaced Dillon De Silva on 76 minutes.

Steve Russell