As part of their, ‘This is your Street’ series, the local Gazette & Post featured Askew Road, W12, on 28th February 1958:
‘One hundred years ago Askew Road was the centre of a newly formed suburb of Starch Green. At the northern end was Uxbridge Road and at the south was Gaggle Goose Green.
The road was rural. A few cottages that had been built were surrounded by orchards and beyond lay the Acton brickfields.
But the London sprawl was always threatening to encroach on this sleepy setting and in the 1860’s, with the coming of the railway boom, it became fact.
Where the orchards had stood for so long, houses were built, and shops began to appear practically overnight – and trade started to come to Askew Road.
One of the first men to observe the coming trends in the area was Mr Homan, a baker at number 34.
Besides running his bakery, he opened a shop at number 74 as a carrier and remover. As the business grew, he opened another shop at 133.
Today his son still runs the removal business in Askew Road, where hung round his office you can see the history of the firm in pictures on the walls.
“It’s a bit different today,” said Horace Homan, the founder’s son. “When I first started, I drove a four-hand brake. Our journeys were sometimes to Brighton and Folkstone. It was nothing for us to harness the horses at 1am and start a journey to the south coast and return the following night.
At the weekends the brakes were used for trips to Burnham Beeches and to the river. It was a regular sight to see 20 to 30 Askew Road residents with their lunch boxes clambering aboard early on Sunday morning and returning late in the evening.
Thirty years ago, Horace Homan started the motor section with one vehicle and today he has four on the road.
During the summer months you can see him in his yard at 5am, supervising the loading of his vehicles when he takes the 2nd Hammersmith Boys Brigade, to camp each year.
The Rev. William Arthur, advocate of Methodism in the western suburbs, brought the Methodist Church to Askew Road in 1866.
During the next 25 years great advances were made in membership and influence. At times the crowds at the services often taxed the normal seating arrangements, and extra seats had to be placed in the aisles.
Various groups were formed among young people in the area, and they helped to raise considerable sums for the National Children’s Home and Orphanages.
In April 1890, a new church on the same site was opened and continued until it was destroyed in 1940.
The outbreak of the last war affected the work of the church. Evacuation of the children and young people in Askew Road resulted in the curtailment of numerous activities and reduced the congregation at services.
For several months, during the early days of the London Blitz, homeless people were housed in the basement of the church.
First aid repairs for minor damage to the church had hardly been completed when on the night of October 10, 1940, incendiary bombs fell on the roof and lodged in the rafters.
Soon the whole roof was ablaze and despite all efforts of the fire fighters, the church was destroyed.
The day when the blitzed church and hall would be replaced was always in the mind, and plans for the schemes were constantly under discussion by the trustees.
Preliminary plans were prepared by Mr W. J. Christian, and it was due to his foresight that a restoration fund was opened as soon as the church was free of debt. Within twelve months this had amounted to £200.
In 1946, the trustees appointed Sir Guy Dawber, with Wilson and Fox as the architects for restoring the damaged premises.
Long and complicated negotiations with the War Damage Commission followed, and it was not until March 1950, that an agreement was reached on the cost of the re-instatement of the premises.
The stone laying ceremony took place in July 1953. In spite of a very severe thunderstorm, accompanied by torrential rain, Askew Road turned out in strength to witness the scene.
One of the most active members of the church trustees is Mr Albert Martin, who lives next door to the church.
He has dedicated endless hours to the benefit of both young and old members as well as being an officer of the Boys Brigade.
A man who has strong connections with the church is Mr F. M. Clark, captain of the 2nd Hammersmith Boys Brigade, since the first enrolment evening on October 23, 1923.

The success of the company has been largely due to his leadership and tireless enthusiasm. There are four other officers, two of whom are old boys of the company.
War-time difficulties of staffing and accommodation caused all meetings to be suspended from 1941 to 1946, but early in 1947 a fresh start was made.
Since then, the high traditions have been worthily upheld, and in its 34th year the company with 42 boys on roll is as vigorous and successful as ever.
The Life Boys with Mrs J. Moore of 12, Larden Road, Acton, in charge, is doing a grand job among these young boys.
This happy and lively band of youngsters are prepared for the Boys Brigade membership, a source of recruitment which gives much satisfaction and pleasure to both the team and the company.’
Steve Russell
(Part Two will follow in due course. Shown above is the Bassein Park Chapel as it was in 1866 & comes from the askewroadchurch.org.uk website. Thanks to Colin Woodley & Peter Trott for their assistance)
