QPR U18 (1) – Cardiff City U18 (2)

U18 Professional Development League 2

Team: Cant, Rossi, McDonald, Brown, Hamid, Hawkins, Sackey, Hefzalla, Kolli, Murphy, Talla

Subs Not Used: Zapieraczynski, Dougi

On a sunny afternoon at Heston and with unusually little breeze, it was the visitors who provided the first attack of the match. Will Spiers bombed down the wing and forced a corner, but it came to nothing.

At the other end, a ball into the box found Ramez Hefzalla, who, after taking a touch, fired his shot directly at Joe Thomas.

Then, Rayan Kolli was bundled over in the box and despite the strong appeals Mr Donaldson wasn’t interested.

A good ball knocked in from the left was headed over the crossbar by Sam Sackey.

After around 20 minutes, following a quick move upfield, Harry Cant made a very good close range save from Morgan Wigley.

Harun Hamid, wearing the No.5 shirt but playing as an attacking midfielder, provided some lovely skill to set up another Rangers attack.

This was a good spell for the R’s as Rayan Kolli’s deft flick set up Harry Murphy who forced an excellent save from Joe Thomas. Half-time: 0-0.

Despite the home side having the best of the first-half, it was the Bluebirds who took the lead after three minutes when Japhet Myadi’s shot found the right-hand corner.

The away side doubled their lead shortly after from the penalty spot, following a shove on a Cardiff player close to the bye-line. Morgan Wigley stepped up and fired the ball low into the back of the net.

But Rangers continued to play some good football. Lorent Talla set up Harun Hamid, but the R’s No.5 shot just over the bar.

On the hour mark, Micah Hyde brought on Gui Siqueira at the expense of Ramez Hefzalla and five minutes later Micah Anthony replaced Lorent Talla.

Rayan Kolli broke free and getting himself into a good position, he shot directly at the Bluebirds keeper.

The next Rangers opportunity fell to Micah Anthony, who, after superbly weaving his way through the penalty area whilst shrugging off various challenges, blasted the ball wide of the target.

Then, Ivo Rossi headed over the crossbar from Harry Murphy’s corner, but QPR finally pulled a goal back following an excellent move started by Sam Sackey.

Shannon Brown’s through ball found Gui Siqueira who made no mistake from close range.

Into stoppage time and Ivo Rossi knocked the ball back to Sam Sackey, but the R’s No.7 saw his effort blocked.

The consensus of opinion was that Mr Donaldson had blown the final whistle a bit early.

However, Rangers played well for much of the game and deserved at least a draw.

Steve Russell