QPR U23 (3) – Wigan Athletic U23 (2)

U23 Professional Development League 2

Team: Little, Williams-Lowe, Bagan, Owens, Jude-Boyd, Woodman, Ajose, Bettache, De Silva, Remy, Mema

Subs: Salamon, Aoraha, Conte, Pedder, Flaherty

With Hamzad Kargbo looking on, the team sheet revealed the absence of a striker in the starting line-up. However, it was good to see Dillon De Silva’s name at No.9.

The first effort of the afternoon at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium came from Wigan’s No.6, Scott Smith, but his shot cleared the crossbar.

And the next attempt also came from the visitors after the ball had been given away. The resulting shot went wide of the upright.

As the R’s began to grow into the game, Joseph Ajose squared the ball into the box and Faysal Bettache’s first-time shot was comfortably held by Sam Tickle.

Then Dillon De Silva set up Shiloh Remy in the box and the R’s captain curled his effort just wide of the far post.

But it was the visitors who took the lead after 26th minutes when, following a corner, an unmarked Charlie Hughes headed home.

After taking an unsuccessful swing at the ball, Sam Tickle was forced to chase after it. He just managed to catch up with the ball close to the goal-line and clear it in time.

Joseph Ajose burst forward but slipped as was lining up his shot and the ball trickled into the keeper’s gloves.

From a midfield position, Armelindo Mema went on a great run through the middle but it came to nothing.

With half-time approaching, QPR got the equaliser they deserved. As Shiloh Remy was about to pull the trigger, he was fouled as he drifted towards the ‘D’.

Charlie Owens stepped up (as he had done the previous month against Colchester), and belted the ball superbly into the back of the net.

Close to the break, Joseph Ajose latched onto a loose ball wide of the six-yard box, but his effort cleared the crossbar. Half-time: 1-1.

For the start of the second-half, Andy Impey introduced Alex Aoraha and Stan Flaherty.

The visitors were soon handed a good opportunity to take the lead after Max Little had spilled the ball, which then ran loose but a poor follow-up saw it going behind.

The Latics took the lead around the hour-mark when Charlie Hughes recorded his second goal of the afternoon after his header had found the back of the net.

After Mr Hallam had booked Scott Smith for a shirt tug, the Wigan No.6 was led off to have his head bandaged.

On 78 minutes, Joseph Ajose made way for Rafferty Pedder and what a change it proved to be! His introduction certainly energised the home side.

The R’s went very close to an equaliser when Shiloh Remy fired just wide of the upright. The equaliser came in the 86thminute following Alex Aoraha’s ball in from the bye-line.

After a melee in the box and with the keeper and a defender grounded, Pedder smashed the ball into the roof of the net.

Rafferty Pedder then scored a dramatic winner a few minutes later when he belted a loose ball beyond Sam Tickle.

Into the dying seconds and the Latics were awarded a free kick but the resulting shot from around 25-yards or so, sailed well over the crossbar.

A very welcome win to end the season.

Steve Russell



One thought on “QPR U23 (3) – Wigan Athletic U23 (2)

  1. An entertaining game, some skilful kids on show in hoops, the Wigan CB were commanding but, we still came in on top.

Comments are closed.