QPR U23 (0) – Sheffield United U23 (1)

U23 Professional Development League 2

Team: Halwax, Jude-Boyd, Hamalainen, Bettache, Woodman, Pitblado, Ajose, Pedder, Lloyd, Flaherty, Mema

Subs: Salamon, Anthony, Conte, Aoraha, Murphy

The first real goalscoring opportunity of the afternoon fell to the home side after Joseph Ajose had cut in, played the ball to Faysal Bettache, but his shot went wide of the post.

Then, following a good run by Armelindo Mema, Ajose’s cross into the six-yard box from the bye-line was cleared.

The away side were presented with a good chance to open the scoring after Rangers had lost possession just outside the box, but the Blades player directed his shot into Harry Halwax’s gloves.

After a minor ‘coming together’, Mr Hughes booked Stan Flaherty plus an opponent.

Sheffield United were awarded a free kick just outside the box. Sydie Peck then fired the ball against the QPR wall and the follow-up cleared the crossbar.

Advancing to deal with a dangerous one-on-one situation, Harry Halwax timed his challenge perfectly and the ball ended up going behind for a corner.

The visitors took the lead after 24 minutes. Seizing upon a loose ball, Nicksoen Gomis went on to strike it into the back of the net.

Halwax did really well when he managed to stretch down and keep the ball away from the goal-line. Half-time: 0-1

I have to say that the visitors finished the half the stronger of the two sides. Better movement, which in turn allowed them a number of options when they were in possession.

Into the second-half and the Blades had two goal attempts, both by Will Lankshear, in less than a minute. Firstly, lacking power, he shot directly into the QPR keepers’ gloves, which was followed by the No.9 firing wide of the upright.

Andy Impey brought on Alex Aoraha at the expense of Armelindo Mema.

Following a good move into the box, Lankshear forced a very good save from Halwax. Then, seconds later, Hassan Ayari, just couldn’t quite connect with a ball knocked dangerously across the outside of the six-yard box.

Rangers were awarded a free kick for dangerous play just outside the ‘D’. Alex Aoraha stepped up and blasted the ball over the crossbar.

The next change saw Elijah Anthony replace Arkel Jude-Boyd, which was followed in the closing stages with the introduction of Harry Murphy and the departure of Joseph Ajose.

Disappointingly, I don’t recall the R’s managing a single shot on target!

Steve Russell