QPR U18 (2) – Oldham Athletic U18 (1)

FA Youth Cup 3rd Round

Team: Cant, Anthony, Bagan, Hamid, Harrack, Hawkins, Bala, Cotter, Danso, Murphy, Dougui

Subs Not Used: Salamon, Luzinda, Brown, Sackey, Sacopon. (Also listed on the team sheet was Omar Eisa)

The Latics had reached the 3rd round after their impressive 3-1 victory at Bradford City.

Alan Barnes told me that midfielder Riley Cotter comes from Ladbroke Grove. I wonder if the family are R’s fans?

The opening 15 minutes or so were fairly even. The first goalscoring opportunity fell to Kayden Harrack following a corner. The R’s centre-back got into a good position, but he ended up belting the ball well over the bar.

Joe Edward’s dangerous in-swinging corner was successfully pushed behind. The R’s keeper then made a great save on the goal-line from the second one when he did well to get a hand to the ball. The resulting shot from the third corner-kick ended up wide of the post.

Excellent skill from Adam Dougui took him close to the bye-line but unfortunately, the R’s winger ran the ball out.

On 35 minutes, Steven Bala’s shot was stopped by Luke Southerington’s legs. Shortly after, Adam Dougui’s cross into the box found Harry Murphy, but his effort went over the crossbar. Half-time: 0-0.

A few minutes after the restart, Dougui’s deep cross found Bala, but the R’s No.7

headed the ball over the crossbar. This was followed by another excellent cross but somehow it evaded the heads of two QPR players in the box.

And soon after that, Harry Murphy’s left-footed shot was deflected for a corner.

On 52 minutes, Rayan Koli came on for Ferrell Danso.

Rangers were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box three minutes later. Harry Murphy stepped up and his wonderful strike left the Latics keeper rooted to the spot. R’s fans leapt to their feet which was followed by wild celebrations from the Rangers players.

Then shortly after, Adam Dougui sped forward from just inside his own half and his shot on the run whizzed just past the far post.

Whilst at the other end, an Oldham corner was headed just over the crossbar.

But it was the R’s who scored next. On 70 minutes, Rangers counter-attacked and Steven Bala’s superb pass set-up the on-rushing Adam Dougui who then belted the ball into the corner of the net as he entered the box.

The visitors pulled a goal back five minutes later when Isaac Modi floated his cross over from the right-flank and Jim Simms was on hand to head the ball into the net.

Six added minutes was revealed, and Micah Hyde introduced Mason Obeng at the expense of Harry Murphy.

The Latics went close to an equaliser when Trey Turner’s low attempt hit the bottom of the post.

Harry Cant did well when he not only made an excellent stop from Collins Kagame’s fierce attempt, but he then successfully smothered the ball.

There was almost a third goal for the R’s when a powerful strike was saved by Luke Southerington’s legs. Mr Simpson then blew the final whistle.

Must mention the Oldham No.7, Isaac Modi, who had an impressive game.

The draw for the 4th round had already been made. Rangers will be traveling to AFC Bournemouth.

Steve Russell