Hayes & Yeading United (4) – QPR U23 (1)

Team: Parker, Jude-Boyd, Pitblado, Pitts-Eckerson, Mahorn, Iaehen, Mema, Duke-McKenna, Kendall, Bansal-McNulty, Ajose

Attendance: 210

Rangers created the first real chance of the match after five minutes following good work by Bansal-McNulty on the right-flank. His pass into the box set up Charley Kendall, but the R’s striker’s effort hit the side netting.

QPR continued to dominate possession for the next five minutes or so until Moses Emmanuel gave the home side the lead after he had met Jake Sheppard’s cross at the far post.

On 15 minutes, the Hayes custodian made a good save from Armelindo Mema, but it was the home side creating most of the chances.

United went close when a shot shaved the post then soon after, following an excellent one-two into the box, I think it was Hassan Jalloh who saw his shot superbly blocked and the ball went behind for a corner.

Although it was in rather fortunate circumstances, it was no surprise when the home side doubled their lead after around thirty minutes. An R’s defender totally missed his kick and Francis Amartey was well placed in the box to be able to pick his spot.

Whilst at the other end, Amrit Bansal-McNulty did well to win a corner for the R’s, which resulted in Mema’s shot closely evading the crossbar.

A minute or so before the interval, United added a third. Jalloh broke forward from the Rangers half and his pass found Amartey, who then slotted the ball into the far corner. Half-time: 0-3.

QPR changed goalkeepers for the start of the second-half with Kingsley Lathim replacing Tiernan Parker. He was soon called upon to make a very good save from Emmanuel.

Charley Kendall was clearly having his shirt tugged as he was put through, but from a position slightly wide of the goal, his shot ended up going past the far post.

However, the R’s striker pulled a goal back on the hour mark. After receiving a ball from the right, Kendall took control, turned and fired his shot into the back of the net.

Shortly after, the home side were awarded a free kick 25-yards out. Sanmi Odelusi received the ball and belted it goalwards. The R’s keeper made a great stop which was followed by a another one from Amartey’s powerful follow-up.

On 66 minutes, four R’s players were introduced from the bench; Brandon Aviero, Mason McLean, Raheem Conte and Jake Frailing. And leaving the pitch were; Duncan Iaehen, Stephen Duke-McKenna, Sam Pitts-Eckerson and Arkell Jude-Boyd respectively.

Whilst all these changes were going on we witnessed a quick blast of the Doobie Brothers over the p.a. Five minutes later the final change was made when Sinclair Armstrong replaced Joseph Ajose.

On 71 minutes, Lewis Lavin managed to get hold of Charley Kendall’s header, but the home side added a fourth minutes later.

Following a defensive mistake, Odelusi seized upon the ball and fed Amartey. He then took the ball past an isolated Kingsley Lathim to complete his second hat-trick in a matter of just four days.

Two minutes later, Lavin made a superb save from ArmelindoMema’s powerful close range shot and the ball was cleared.

Kingsley Lathim was having a very good half and in the closing stages he was quick off the mark to make a superb stop with his legs.

There is no doubt that Hayes deserved their victory, but I have to say that the physicality of their older players had some effect on the match. In particular their No.7, who was getting away with it throughout the game!

Steve Russell