QPR U23 (6) – Colchester United U23 (2)

U23 Professional Development League

Team: Brzozowski, Kakay, Hamalainen, Goss, Phillips, Wells, Tilt, Owens, Walker, Oteh, Smyth.

Sub Not Used: Cooper

Captain for the afternoon was 20 year-old centre-forward, Lewis Walker, who signed a pro deal earlier in the month.

The visitors looked to be a younger side, in fact, their No.4, Gene Kennedy, was said to be just 15!

Rangers came close to taking the lead after six minutes when Aramide Oteh belted the ball against the post, which then bounced back into play.

The home side were enjoying a period of good movement and crisp passing.

The U’s created a good chance of their own when Louis Dunne had turned in the box, but he screwed the ball just past the far post.

At the other end, Chay Tilt’s shot crashed off the crossbar and following up was Sean Goss who hit the ball against the foot of the upright.

The R’s took a deserved lead after 22 minutes, when following a goal kick, a loose ball outside the box resulted in a U’s defender falling over and Sean Goss, in space, coolly slotted the ball home.

Noah Chilvers broke free into the box and, with a team mate on either side, chose to shoot at goal which Marcin Brzozowski managed to save by diving to his left.

A Rangers corner was knocked out to Osman Kakay some 30 yards out. He advanced and let fly which saw Callum Coulter making an exaggerated flying save.

QPR scored a second goal on 31 minutes after Paul Smyth had wriggled his way through. His shot hit the post and Oteh was well placed to finish.

In the 36th minute, following a superb team build-up, Osman Kakay fired the ball into the back of the net from Chay Tilt’s assist.

A few minutes later Paul Smyth added a fourth goal after mounting a swift counter-attack from a corner. Chay Tilt set up Paul Smyth and despite Coulter getting a glove to the ball he couldn’t keep it out.

Large gaps were opening up and Tilt’s centre into the box led to Oteh’s effort being blocked.

Close to the break, Niko Hamalainen showed off some nice skill following a ball into the box from the right-flank. He smartly trapped the ball, turned and then laid it off. Half-time: 4-0.

Apart from his excellent goal ratio, another feature of Oteh’s game is how hard he works.

Colchester pulled a goal back after 57 minutes when Todd Miller directed the ball through Brzozowski’s legs. Then Noah Chilvers smashed the ball into the net three minutes later.

Amrit Bansal-McNulty was introduced on 63 minutes at the expense of Aramide Oteh.

Giles Phillips went close with a header, but the home side had gone off the boil since the break. Mr Packman booked Hamalainen for a pull-back.

We were treated to an outstanding goal from Paul Smyth on 70 minutes. After receiving the ball from Marcin Brzozowski in his own half, he set off down the left-wing, cut in and picked his spot from close range. Absolutely wonderful!

On 74 minutes, Paul Hall took off Chay Tilt and brought on Deshane Dalling. The final change was made three minutes later when Ali Omar came on for Ben Wells.

Rangers scored a sixth a minute or so from the final whistle when Deshane Dalling got to the bye-line and picked out Lewis Walker who finished from close range to complete a resounding victory.

Amongst those looking on was Ray Harford.

Steve Russell