1907: Southall (4) – QPR Reserves (3)

Team: Webb, Smith, Ainsworth, Handford, Mitchell, Philpot, Perry, Skilton, Hitchcock, Theobald, Stagg.

A Rangers reserve side travelled to Southall on 21st September 1907. The following match report appeared in the Middlesex & Surrey Express the following week:

‘Played at Western-road, Southall, on Saturday when the homesters achieved a brilliant victory.

The visitors brought a strong team, including several Southern League players with them, while Southall put their strongest side in the field, with the exception of Lawrence, who came into the team in place of J. Willis.

From the commencement of the game the Rangers got down, but the effort was spoilt by Theobald shooting wide.

From the goal kick, the Southall forwards were set in motion, and following some splendid individual play by Coleshill, the ball was swung across to Wood, who centred, G. Willis scoring.

This enlivened the game, and the visitors attacked, a penalty being awarded against Kirby. The resultant kick was taken by Hitchcock, who scored, Hodge reaching the ball but failing to hold.

The Rangers were soon two up, Hitchcock meeting a pass from Perry, and shooting with his usual “powder”, gave Hodge no chance.

The visitors came again, and Ballard and Austin miskicking, let in Hitchcock, who added another goal, Southall thus being 3-1 down at half-time.

On resuming, Southall dashed away, and the Rangers’ goal narrowly escaped downfall, when Cornwell rushed in, but Webb saved.

Wood now tried a run down, but kicked the ball too far ahead. Webb rushed out and beat Wood in a race for the ball, and sent down the field.

Skilton now made an individual effort, and was on the point of shooting when Hitchcock trapped the ball and shot over the crossbar.

From the goal kick the Southall forwards got down, and Wood sent in a splendid shot from twenty yards out, beating Webb all the way, thus scoring Southall’s second goal.

Stimulated with this success, the homesters came again, and a bombardment of the Rangers’ goal followed, Webb fisting away right and left, Jarmey eventually trying a ground shot which was rather luckily saved, Webb fumbling the ball, but ultimately clearing.

The visitors attacked, and Austin neatly checked Skilton when breaking through. Hands against Hitchcock set the home forwards in motion, and some fine combination by the left wing ended in Robinson equalising.

Southall maintained the pressure, and after Webb had fisted away a shot from Wood, Robinson put the homesters one up.

The Rangers now endeavoured to draw the score level, and Hitchcock was neatly robbed by Jarmey when well placed.

Nothing further resulted, and Southall won a spirited game by 4-3. The home forwards were in irresistible form, and their clever combination so early in the season gave great satisfaction.

There was not a weak spot among the half-backs and forwards, and Austin and Kirby played a good game at back.’

Meanwhile at the Park Royal Stadium, the Rangers 1st team beat Swindon Town 2-1, with a brace from Sidney Sugden.

Steve Russell

(Thanks to Colin Woodley for sending me the match report)