QPR U23 (2) – Cardiff City U23 (0)

U23 Professional Development League

Team: Herdman, Kakay, Genovesi, Borysiuk, Phillips, Hamalainen, LuaLua, Owens, Oteh, Chair, Shodipo

Sub Not Used: Brzozowski

The game at Harlington was put back an hour and commenced in warmish sunshine. Aramide Oteh was given the captain’s armband.

Rangers were straight out the blocks and created two good goalscoring opportunities in the first couple of minutes.

Firstly, LuaLua’s cross from the left-wing just evaded an oncoming R’s player and the Cardiff keeper chested the ball away.

This was quickly followed by a curled ball into the box, which Ilias Chair struck with venom on the half-volley and forced Ollie Byrne to dive to his right to make a save.

The R’s took the lead after 15 minutes following a corner. Aramide Oteh got his head to the ball and Byrne knocked the ball out, which was then cleared off the goal-line. Chair’s corner was headed on by Giles Phillips, and Oteh finished from a few yards.

A ball into the R’s six-yard box after 23 minutes wasn’t held by Martin Herdman, which resulted in Giles Phillips going down and a corner for the visitors.

Olamide Shodipo was now on the left-wing, having the better of his marker and putting over some superb crosses into the box.

Rangers fashioned a great move down the left-flank involving Shodipo and Kazenga LuaLua, which concluded with the ball being cleared to safety.

QPR doubled their lead after 34 minutes after Shodipo was clipped as he entered the penalty area. He then stepped up and made no mistake with his spot kick.

LuaLua smashed the ball from 20 yards, which curled towards the far post and into the side netting. He was back on the left-wing and briefly shared the same position as Shodipo.

Rangers dominated the half, which ended 2-0 to the home side.

Early into the second-half, Shodipo produced some wonderful ball control further down the touchline in close proximity to his marker. He then beat his man, advanced, and put over a great cross. Well done to him.

The Bluebirds had a rare opportunity when their effort flashed just wide of the far post.

Giles Phillips was booked after fouling a Cardiff player just outside the box. The free kick was struck by James Waite who saw his effort come off the post.

Paul Hall made a double substitution after 70 minutes when he introduced Danny Darbyshire and Chay Tilt.

Mr Richardson awarded a free kick and also booked a Cardiff player for a pull-back. Ilias Chair was replaced by Zenon Stylianides after 75 minutes.

Herdman did well to get his hand to the ball following a corner. Osman Kakay blocked the shot and eventually the R’s defence cleared their lines.

At the other end Charlie Owens headed just wide.

Kris Owens was lucky to get away with what looked like a nasty challenge on Osman Kakay!

LuaLua powered his free kick, which swerved slightly and the ball ended up just wide.

There was a coming together of two opposing players, which left Chay Tilt staying down and requiring some treatment.

Rangers were worthy winners and should have won by a larger margin.

Steve Russell