From March 1974: QPR (0) – Wolverhampton Wanderers (0) – ‘Parkes keeps Wolves at Bay’

Team: Parkes, Clement, Gillard, Mancini, McLintock, Venables (Hazell), Thomas, Francis, Leach, Bowles, Givens

Attendance: 21,209

The previous Saturday Joe Waters’ two goals knocked us out of the 6th Round of the FA Cup.

Looking at his Leicester City career, Waters only scored one league goal in his 13 appearances!

Next up was the visit of Wolverhampton Wanderers to Loftus Road:

‘QPR goalkeeper Phil Parkes produced an England-class save to keep out a swerving 20-yard shot by Wolves skipper Mike Bailey as the Midlanders pressed strongly at Loftus Road this afternoon.

Wolves moved well early on and Rangers’ centre-half Terry Mancini nearly paid for unceremoniously flooring Mike Bailey, Wolves’ skipper.

From the free kick Ken Hibbitt powered dangerously into the Rangers’ box before Frank McLintock stepped in with a well-timed interception.

A typical opportunist move by Stan Bowles nearly paid off as he ran swiftly on to a Steve Daley back-pass. But before Bowles could steady himself to shoot, Frank Munro cleared.

Wolves, Football League Cup winners, were presenting chances with jittery errors.
Dave Thomas twice went near through miss-clearances by John McAlle and Geoff Palmer.

Powerhouse Bailey, again Wolves’ man-of-the-match, steamed into the middle to hammer a Derek Dougan pass just wide. Then, the tireless Bailey sparked another Wolves attack, linking with Sunderland who skilfully laid the ball off for Daley to crack over the crossbar.

Rangers resumed in the second-half with substitute Hazell replacing skipper Terry Venables, hampered by a long-standing groin injury.

There were narrow escapes at both ends. Palmer robbed Thomas of a heading chance in front of goal.

Then Parkes was forced to run yards out of his area to kick the ball away from the advancing Bailey.

In the 57th minute Wolves striker Peter Withe hit the ball into the back of the Rangers net, but was ruled offside.’

The R’s went on to record a 1-0 win at Coventry City the following week.

Steve Russell