QPR U18 (0) – Millwall U18 (1)

Team: Lumley, Furlong, Monthe, Comley, Downs, Kpekwa, Petrasso, Mitchell, Skapetis, Hunt-Laurent, Fitzpatrick

It’s always windy in the wide open spaces of the Harlington training ground. This time, we are informed, the polar jet stream is responsible for the current cold snap.

The R’s almost conceded early on when a Joe Lumley clearance came off a Rangers defender and only just cleared the goal. This was followed at the other end by an absolute belter from defender Manny Monthe which flew inches wide of the keeper’s right-hand post. Then Joe Lumley was forced down to make a fairly comfortable save.

David Fitzpatrick went on a great run, twisting and turning his way towards goal. only to be fouled on the edge of the box. From the free kick, an acrobatic effort by Michael Petrasso was saved by the Millwall custodian at his near post to produce a corner. Half-time: 0-0

Millwall almost took the lead after the interval in similar fashion to the incident in the first-half when Joe Lumley charged out to clear the ball which ricocheted off a defender and almost ended up in the net. The visitors took the lead around the hour mark with the ball appearing to go through Joe Lumley.

Steve Gallen took off Aaron Mitchell and on came Dylan Carreiro. Earlier in the year he and Mike Petrasso were called up to the Canadian U20 squad.

Rangers did reply after a great ball in to Petros Skapetis found the back of the net, but his header was ruled offside. He’d also had the ball in the net in the first-half and on that occasion the referee had already blown for a free kick. Mike Petrasso left the field and was replaced by Ryan Young. The R’s continued to press forward and Manny Monthe blasted a shot which just cleared the bar.

The R’s won a corner and just as it was about to be taken, one of the Millwall defenders was led away by the referee for treatment. Surprisingly, play didn’t resume until he was ready to return ? Milwall successfully broke up the R’s rhythm and pattern of play by giving away numerous free kicks outside the box.

The U18’s amazing run of 12 consecutive victories finally came to an end. However, their five-point lead at the top was maintained as second-place Charlton Athletic lost 2-3 at Barnet.

The Saturday Morning Crew also included Alan Barnes, Rob Bennett, Roger Stokes, Clive Kingham and Joe English.

Steve Russell