Maidenhead United Women (6) – QPR FC Women (1) 

Combined Counties Midweek League Cup Quarter Final 

Team: Francis-Pownall, Shephard, Searle, Rogers, Blodgett, Carolan, Owen, Akerman, Nygaard-Parsons, Stanley, Petit 

Subs: Hill, Louvier, Halawi, Reid, Salah 

This Cup tie was originally scheduled to be a Rangers home game but was eventually switched to Slough Town’s Arbour Park.  

Maidenhead took the lead after just two minutes. Mya Francis-Pownall stopped the first attempt and despite a couple of opportunities to clear the ball, Natasha Rasmussen was on hand to finish. 

However, Rangers equalised just a minute or so later. Ellie Searle’s perseverance got her close to the bye-line where she managed to squeeze the ball into the net.  

The Maidenhead No.20’s strike from 20-yards dipped just over the crossbar. 

At the other end, Kasha Petit’s long-range effort was well-held by Rosie Wilmott-Joyce. 

Grace Stanley’s powerful shot forced a flying save from the Magpies keeper and the ball went behind for a corner. 

Simone O’Brien gave Maidenhead the lead after 36 minutes. 

As the R’s looked for an equaliser, Grace Stanley set up Kasha Petit, whose angled shot was smothered by the keeper. 

Maidenhead went further ahead in controversial circumstances following a melee in the box. Mya Francis-Pownall collided with an opponent and as she lay injured, Mr Lofgren awarded a penalty!  

After a long delay and after receiving attention to her shoulder, Mya Francis-Pownall was led off. Emily Hill was brought on and Jo Blodgett went in goal.  

Simone O’Brien stepped up and as soon as she had planted the ball in the net, the referee blew his whistle. Half-time: 1-3. 

The Magpies soon added a fourth goal. As the R’s defence attempted to clear the danger, Macey Nikiah-Walters lobbed the ball into the net.  

Emilia Nygaard-Parsons and Dahlia Salah both had attempts at goal, but it was Natasha Rasmussen who scored her second goal of the evening when she directed her shot into the corner.  

RJ Jauad-Taborda completed the scoring with an angled strike into the far corner. 

After knocking out Watford in the semi-final, Maidenhead went on to lift the cup in a penalty shoot-out against Fulham.  

Steve Russell

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.