QPR U18 (0) – Wigan Athletic U18 (4) 

U18 Professional Development League 2 

Team: Loades, Putman, Adjetey-Brew, Keita-Turay, trialist, Radojevic, Kennedy, Sutton, Strachan, Tarbotton, Hassan 

Subs: Clark, Hamid, Neziri, Street, Neill 

With an icy wind drifting across the TSG Training Centre, Lorenzo Strachan was fouled outside the penalty area, but the subsequent free kick came to nothing.  

With the visitors looking the more dangerous, Elijah Igiehon’s cross from the right set up a team mate in a good position on the edge of the box, but he proceeded to shoot over the crossbar. Their next attempt involving the same No.11 was also blasted over. 

The Latics took the lead after 26 minutes. Although Callum Loades managed to get a hand to the ball, he couldn’t keep out Harrison Bettoni’s header. 

Rico Kennedy went on a great run which led to a corner and resulted in the ball passing the upright. 

As the R’s looked for an equaliser, a superb through ball found Lorenzo Strachan. As he continued, a Wigan defender stuck out a leg and the ball went for a throw-in. 

Cole Simms doubled Wigan’s lead after 43 minutes. 

The away side almost increased their advantage further just before the break. Reece Greenhalgh’s point-blank header was well saved by Callum Loades. Half-time: 0-2. 

Two changes were made for the start of the second-half, which saw the introduction of Charlie Street and Hassan Hamid at the expense of Kemoko Keita-Turay and Luka Radojevic respectively.  

A dangerous deep cross into the box was headed away powerfully by Jaiden Putman to safety.  

After initially hobbling on, the R’s full-back went down in need of some attention, following his strong challenge on an opponent.  

Teddy Tarbotton headed an in-swinging corner into the side-netting.  

The Latics scored a third goal after 66 minutes, when Reece Greenhalgh took the ball down neatly, before belting it into the net.  

The two final changes saw Fraser Neill and Enis Neziri replace Cory Adjetey-Brew and Rico Kennedy respectively. Jaiden Putman then moved over to left-back. 

Wigan went 4-0 up after 70 minutes. Sam Golland turned in the box before driving the ball into the bottom corner. 

After Christy Edwards had bombed down the right-wing, the Latics No.7 cut in and shot just over the bar.  

Callum Loades did well to get down late to keep out Alistair Clifford’s strike at goal. 

Close to the final whistle, Enis Neziri got to the bye-line, where he tangled with the Wigan keeper and Mr Parke booked the R’s substitute. 

Rangers then travelled to Hillsborough to take on Sheffield Wednesday in the final game of the season. 

Steve Russell

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.