QPR Development Squad (4) – Charlton Athletic U21 (0)

U21 Professional Development League 2

Team: Clark, Lee (t), Leahy, Hawkins, Drewe, Tuck, Pedder, Morgan (t), Jeche, Murphy, Bala

Subs: Loades, Putman, Sackey, Ajose, Namputu

On a very breezy Friday afternoon at Heston, the home side were ahead within four minutes. Harry Murphy’s strike from just outside the box, dipped before entering the net.

Then, Nathan Jeche was put through on goal. After the QPR striker hesitated, his shot was blocked, and Rafferty Pedder’s follow up effort was aimed directly at the keeper.

This was an assertive period for the R’s and Harry Murphy, running through the middle, fired the ball just wide of the upright.

For the visitors, Ryan Huke’s cross into the box found Kai Enslin, who then knocked the ball into Conor Clark’s gloves.

At the other end, Kieran Morgan put in an excellent low ball, but three team-mates situated around the six-yard box, somehow, couldn’t quite reach it.

Rangers doubled their lead on 33 minutes following a corner. After a series of attempts had been blocked, Kieran Morgan was pulled down, and Mr Crofts pointed to the spot. Rafferty Pedder stepped up and smashed the ball into the net.  

An Addicks defender for some reason lofted a difficult, wind-assisted back-pass and Henry Molyneux acrobatically kept it out, but he couldn’t prevent the corner.

Just before the break, Kieran Morgan supplied a superb through ball for Harry Murphy to latch on to. The Rangers No.10’s shot narrowly evaded the crossbar. Half-time: 2-0.

Into the second-half, as the away side looked for a way back into the game, Conor Clark knocked down Lewis Fiorini’s goal attempt, before successfully grabbing hold of the ball.

For the R’s, despite having his shirt pulled, Nathan Jeche continued his run and proceeded to fire the ball over the bar.

On 56 minutes, Paul Furlong brought on Jaiden Putman.

QPR added a third goal following good work by Putman down the left-flank. This resulted in Steven Bala’s low strike beating Henry Molyneux,

This same combination later followed when the R’s substitute set up Bala and the Rangers winger’s shot came off the far post.

Two changes were made on 75 minutes, which saw the introduction of Sam Sackey and Bosembo Namputu at the expense of Alfie Tuck and Harry Murphy respectively.

A couple of minutes later, Rafferty Pedder was hauled down after he had weaved his way through the penalty area. The R’s No.7 made no mistake with his second spot kick of the afternoon.

Joseph Ajose replaced him on 82 minutes.

And in the closing stages, Mr Crofts booked Louie Watson following a trip on Bosembo Namputu.

Next up for Paul Furlong’s side was a return to the Powerday Stadium to take on Birmingham City.

Steve Russell

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.