QPR U18 (2) – Barnsley U18 (0) 

U18 Professional Development League 2 

Team: Conway (t), Putman, Moutawafiq (t), Keita-Turay, Fletcher (t), Morgan (t), Hassan, Hamid, Strachan, Neziri, Coomes 

Subs: Fittall, Radojevic, Sanyaolu, Kennedy, Neill 

At a very blustery TSG Training Centre, the team sheet revealed the welcome return of Lorenzo Strachan after a long lay-off, plus the inclusion of four trialists. 

The first real goalscoring attempt fell to the home side. Good work by Ridwan Hassan took him upfield, where he laid off a superb pass to Jake Coomes and after knocking the ball in, the R’s No.7’s attempt was blocked. 

Then, Jake Coomes’ shot from a widish position was deflected before going behind for a corner. 

The R’s trialist keeper made a superb low-save from just inside the post following a 25-yard strike at goal. 

Mr Maylon booked Jonathan Bland after the Barnsley captain had blatantly knocked over an opponent.  

Play was briefly held-up after a sudden gust of wind had blown over a 12ft high camera situated close to the pitch. 

Rangers took the lead after 24 minutes. Following a handball 25-yards from goal, Kieran Morgan stepped up and curled his free kick round the wall and into the top corner. 

A few minutes later, Lorenzo Strachan’s strike was put behind. 

Following a poor back-pass, Kemoko Keita-Turay was booked after an infringement outside the box. Also cautioned around this time was the R’s keeper, Montague Conway. 

Then, Kieran Graham was shown a yellow card after bundling over Anwar Moutawafiq. The R’s No.3 then required some attention as he appeared to hurt his back as he fell. 

The Tykes came close to an equaliser following corner. One attempt was stopped on the line, and another was blocked before the ball was eventually cleared to safety.  

Ridwan Hassan made an excellent interception around the half-way line before bursting upfield and shooting wide of the target. 

At the other end, Anwar Moutawafiq made a superb sliding challenge around the penalty area to win the ball and avert the danger. Half-time: 1-0. 

For the start of the second-half, Micah Hyde brought on Fraser Neill and Luka Radojevic at the expense of Anwar Moutawafiq and Hassan Hamid respectively.  

Further changes followed 13 minutes or so later when Rico Kennedy and Philip Sanyaolu replaced Ridwan Hassan and Enis Neziri accordingly.  

Barnsley managed to win a few corners in the early stages but the nearest they came to a goal was when Emmaisa Nzondo headed over the crossbar. 

Rangers almost gifted Barnsley an equaliser after Emmaisa Nzondo seized upon a poor back-pass, but the Tykes No.9 put the ball wide of the target.  

Jaiden Putman bombed down the left-flank and after cutting in, he chose to shoot at goal instead of squaring the ball.  

The away side really should have equalised when an unmarked Will Thompson somehow headed over the bar from just eight yards! 

With Barnsley looking more dangerous, Fraser Neill’s cross/shot from the right bounced off the far post. 

The R’s got that all-important second goal following a wonderful series of one-two’s into the box involving Lorenzo Strachan and Jake Coomes, and it was the latter who went on to finish. 

Montague Conway made an excellent save from an awkward, wind-assisted strike at goal. 

Ziggy Koziuk was booked in the closing stages when the Tykes defender swore at the referee after disputing a throw-in. 

Next up for Micah Hyde’s side was a behind-closed-doors friendly against Bristol City. 

Steve Russell