QPR U18 (0) – Bristol City U18 (1)

U18 Professional Development League 2

Team: Clark, Manufor, Leahy, Radojevic, Redknapp, Edmonson, Coomes, Young, Yahyaoui, Hamid, Recber

Subs: Loades, Hay, Sanyaolu, Hassan, Brobbey

At a dry and sunny Heston, training to our left with Chris Ramsey were the likes of Jack Colback and Deon Woodman etc. And despite all the recent heavy rainfall, the pitch looked in excellent condition.

The Rangers starting line-up included Harry Redknapp at No.5. A trialist who it was understood was the son of Jamie Redknapp?

It was the R’s who got off to an assertive start. Tyler Young’s free kick came off the City wall, before going behind. And eventually from the second corner, Jake Coomes’ back-heel was well-saved as was the follow-up attempt.

This was a good spell for the R’s and after the ball was played out to Jake Coomes, the Rangers winger’s perseverance won him a corner. The resulting cross into the box was headed onto the crossbar by Youssef Yahyaoui.

During a 50-second period, the R’s defence did really well to thwart the danger with a series of blocks and a headed clearance in the penalty area. 

Good work from Jake Coomes led to the R’s winger knocking the ball inside to Youssef Yahyaoui. The Rangers striker was then fouled on the edge of the box. He then stepped-up to take the free kick, which was stopped by the City wall and the follow-up effort was deflected over the bar for a corner. 

At the other end, following a powerful low cross from the right and Sam Manufor did well to get a touch on the ball and avert the danger.

The Robins were certainly growing into the game and were particularly dangerous down the right-wing, courtesy of Raekwan Nelson.

City took the lead in the 35th minute, when Brandon Bak headed in from Taine Anderson’s corner. 

Then, Raekwan Nelson burst forward from midfield, which led to Conor Clark making a fine save from his low drive. 

The away side then almost doubled their lead. Firstly, Billy Phillips’ effort from 20-odd yards was pushed behind and from the resulting corner, the ball was headed against the underside of the crossbar before hitting the upright!

Tyler Young appeared to go down with a head injury? But whatever it was, it left him grounded for a while and in need of some attention. Half-time: 0-1.

Into the second-half, and on 53 minutes Micah Hyde introduced Ridwanullahi Hassan at the expense of Mehmet Recber. 

Conor Clark made an excellent stop with his feet and the follow-up was cleared to safety. 

On 59 minutes, Noah Hay replaced Samuel Manufor at right-back and six minutes later Phillip Sanyaolu came on for Jake Coomes. 

Whilst the home side were unable to create very much in the final third, Conor Clark was called upon to make another very good save.

A City shot belted goalwards came off Jake Leahy’s head before clearing the crossbar. 

Rangers did manage to get a shot on target when a Hassan Hamid strike took a slight deflection before finding its way into Joe Duncan’s gloves. 

Tyler Young did well to produce a shot whilst under pressure on the edge of the box, but the ball curled away, just beyond the far post. 

Another home game follows next Saturday when Watford will visit the TSG Training Centre. 

Steve Russell