QPR Development Squad (1) – Ipswich Town U21 (1)

U21 Professional Development League 2

Team: Cant, Jude-Boyd, Shann, Harrack, Hawkins, Drewe, Murphy, Aoraha, Jeche, Talla, Bala

Subs: Clark, Leahy, Manufor, Tuck, Sackey

On a fresh afternoon at Loftus Road, it was the R’s who took the lead after just three minutes. Arkell Jude-Boyd floated the ball over from the right for an unmarked Nathan Jeche to head home. 

Steven Bala directed a lovely cross in from the left-flank, but as Harry Murphy stuck out a boot in the six-yard box, the R’s No.7 didn’t get enough on it and Henry Gray was able to grab hold of the ball. 

Steven Bala then weaved his way through and his shot was put behind by the keeper. From the resulting corner, Henry Hawkins headed just wide of the upright. 

Thirty minutes in, and it was the home side who were having the best of it. 

Alex Aoraha’s free kick from a central position level with the ‘D’, flashed just wide of the post. 

An appeal by some of the R’s players for a penalty, resulted in an Ipswich counter-attack and Harry Cant making a fine point-blank save with the aid of his boot. 

The Tractor Boys equalised close to the break. With the Rangers defence all over the place, Leon Ayinde tapped the ball through Harry Cant. Half-time: 1-1. 

Paul Furlong/Chris Ramsey replaced Casey Shann for the start of the second-half.

It was the away side who almost took the lead. Kayden Harrack and Alex Aoraha collided in the box in their attempt to clear the ball from the feet of an opponent. Both players stayed down in need of some attention, but eventually they were able to continue.

On the hour mark, Alfie Tuck was brought on at the expense of Alex Aoraha. And five minutes or so later, Sam Sackey came on for Steven Bala.

Mr Hursey booked two Rangers players, within a matter of a few seconds, namely; Sam Sackey and Henry Hawkins.

Osman Foyo burst through, but an awkward touch meant that Harry Cant was able to successfully grab hold of the ball. 

Jacob Mazionis was shown a yellow card following a foul on Nathan Jeche. The free kick was knocked into the box where Kayden Harrack came off worse with the keeper in his attempt to head the ball.

After receiving some treatment, the R’s No.4 went off, but his return was to be very brief and he soon had to be replaced.

A wonderful slide-rule pass found Nathan Jeche in a good position. As the R’s No.9 ran into the box, and before he could pull the trigger, an Ipswich defender managed to clear the danger.

At the other end, Nico Valentine, in space, belted the ball over the crossbar. 

Sam Sackey put Nathan Jeche through on goal, and whilst getting one-on-one, the keeper went down, and the ball went off his legs for a corner. 

Unmarked, just outside the six-yard box, Ash Boatswain, whilst still facing the wrong way, amazingly shot towards the Stanley Bowles Stand for a throw!

That was pretty much the end of the afternoon’s action and it was probably a fair result.

The Development Squad return to Loftus Road next Monday when they will face Cardiff City.

Steve Russell