QPR FC Women (2) – Haywards Heath Town Women (1) 

FA Women’s National League Division One (South-East)

Team: Merrett, Curr, Owen, Hennessy, Blodgett, Lewin, Nygaard-Parsons, Stanley, Webster, Akerman, Searle

It was an assertive start for the R’s at the Powerday Stadium, when, directly from the kick-off, Ellie Searle bombed down the wing to win a corner. This was followed by another one which resulted in a goal-kick.

Then, after Frankie Webster was set-up in the box, her side-footed shot ricocheted back from the keeper and the ball went behind. 

The visitors took the lead after nine minutes when Mae Goulden’s drive from the edge of the box found the corner of the net.

However, Alice Curr equalised five minutes later with a spectacular 25-yard strike into the top corner. 

At the other end, as Courtney Merrett advanced, it was Izzy Owen who made a superb interception before taking the ball away to safety.

An excellent slide-rule pass to the on-running Ellie Searle resulted in the ball being knocked just past the far post. 

Grace Stanley’s superb run from midfield took her on to the edge of the box but she just couldn’t get her shot away.

Steve Quashie moved Frankie Webster over to the right-wing and Emilia Nygaard-Parsons went into the centre. 

Some excellent defending from Jo Blodgett when she took control of the ball in the penalty area and then cleared it to safety. 

A good ball into the box found Katie Akerman and the R’s midfielder’s low shot went just wide of the target. 

Moments before the interval, a great ball over to Frankie Webster on the right-flank, found her in acres of space. As she advanced, her shot flashed just wide of the far post. Half-time: 1-1.

Into the second-half, and after Grace Stanley got on the end of an excellent pass, the R’s striker’s shot was deflected behind. From the corner, Frankie Webster’s effort whizzed just wide of the far upright. 

Then, Courtney Merrett knocked the visitors’ effort onto the crossbar and from the resulting corner the ball was headed over. 

Two changes were made after 61 minutes, which saw the introduction of Kasha Petit and Renai McCrea at the expense of Izzy Owen and Emilia Nygaard-Parsons respectively. 

The R’s keeper made an excellent solid stop on the edge of the box to deny the visitors. 

Steve Quashie made his final change on 69 minutes when Assia Fatri replaced Frankie Webster. 

Renai McCrea’s superb cross found an unmarked Grace Stanley, but she couldn’t quite get enough on it to trouble Libby Kingshott. The R’s striker’s next effort was defected for a corner. 

Rangers got the decisive winner close to the final whistle when Laura Hennessy’s low strike found the back of the net.

There was still time for a ridiculous booking for Kasha Petit!

Steve Quashie’s side then travelled to Haywards Heath for an FA Cup clash. 

Steve Russell