QPR Development Squad (2) – AFC Bournemouth Development Squad (2)

U21 Professional Development Squad League 2

Team: Salamon, Harrack, Shann, Tuck, Powell (T), Hawkins, Petrie, Sackey, Lloyd, Murphy, Anthony

Subs: Cant, Ogwuazor, Manufor, Yahyaoui, Jeche

On a mildish evening, it was a top-of-the-table clash at the Powerday Stadium.

The team sheet revealed that at No.5 was trialist, Darryl Powell.

With 11 minutes gone, Kieran Petrie burst forward after collecting Matteo Salamon’s header. And after weaving his way to a position just inside the box, Cameron Plain was able to smother his shot.

A minute or so later, Noa Boutin shot down the left-wing, and from a widish angle, the Cherries No.3’s low shot flashed just wide of the far-post. 

At the other end, the lively Kieran Petrie cut inside but scuffed his shot wide of the upright. He then did well to keep control of the ball whilst under pressure and managed to continue his run before his deflected strike was held by the keeper. 

It was the visitors who took the lead after 17 minutes when Noa Boutin’s cross was converted by an unmarked Balraj Landa.

Worse was to follow for the home side just two minutes later. After Noa Boutin had once again bombed down the left-flank, he set-up Daniel Adu-Adjei situated in acres of space, where the Bournemouth striker was well-placed to knock the ball home from close range.

As the visitors looked to increase their lead, on 22 minutes Matteo Salamon made an excellent low save from Dominic Sadi.

Micah Anthony had a good opportunity to pull a goal back. After he had slipped, the R’s No.11 composed himself and, seeing that Cameron Plain was way-off his line, his opportunist lob just evaded the crossbar. 

Kieran Petrie fashioned a slight bend on his shot, but as it lacked power Cameron Plain made an easysave. Half-time: 0-2.

Into the second-half, and Kieran Petrie’s spectacular overhead kick ended up in the keeper’s gloves. 

For the away side, Finn Tonks’ effort was grabbed at the near post by Matteo Salamon.

Micah Anthony was receiving a lot more of the ball, and after getting fouled outside the box, the R’s captain, Harry Murphy, stepped up, but his free kick was comfortably held by the keeper.

Rangers pulled a goal back after 70 minutes. Alfie Tuck’s powerful strike was well saved, one-handed by a diving Cameron Plain. And from the resulting corner, Micah Anthony scrambled the ball into the net. 

The R’s got a deserved equaliser nine minutes later after Micah Anthony’s cross found Kieran Petrie. The Rangers No.7’s side-footed shot appeared to get a slight deflection before entering the net. 

Micah Anthony was involved again, and his heavy cross was headed over the crossbar by Alfie LLoyd. 

The match finished all-square. Bournemouth had edged the first-half, but Rangers certainly had the best of the second period.

It was unusual to note that no QPR subs were brought on.

Paul Furlong’s side travel to the Wallace Binder Stadium next to take on Colchester United.

Thanks to Joe English for the lift home.

Steve Russell