QPR (4) – Newport County (2) – ‘Addinall Headed the Ball Down to Shepherd’s Feet for the Winger to Score his Second Goal’

Football League Division 3 (South)

Team: Brown, Poppitt, Ingham, Clayton, Spence, Farrow, Gilberg, Smith, Addinall, Quinn, Shepherd

Attendance: 14,800

After Rangers had suffered a 0-2 defeat at Brighton. their next opponents were Newport County who travelled to Loftus Road on 18th October 1952: 

‘George Mountford, of Stoke, did not play at outside-right, as had been hoped. He will take a few days to decide whether he will agree to join the West London club. 

Queen’s Park Rangers soon went ahead in their home game with Newport. Newcomer Gordon Quinn helped towards Shepherd’s goal. 

Quinn eluded the defence, slipped the ball to Farrow, who passed it on to Shepherd for the winger to net from a sharp angle. 

Newport attacked at once, and right-winger Birch placed the ball across the face of the Rangers’ goal. 

Rangers added to their lead in the 32nd minute. Addinallheaded the ball down to Shepherd’s feet for the winger to score his second goal. 

Clayton was injured and had to leave the field. Half-time: QPR 2 – Newport 0. 

Rangers resumed play with Clayton back and nearly repeated their first-half quick-scoring feat when Smith’s shot went just wide.

Newport came back and Rangers, for a spell, were defending. Beattie managed to get two quick shots in at goal, but Brown was able to deal effectively with them. 

Newport scored in the 60th minute, when Moore pushed the ball to Beattie and the inside-right shot past the diving Harry Brown. 

Shepherd had hard lines after this to complete his hat-trick. From a free kick, he ran through and put the ball across the goal past Fearnley, but the ball rebounded off the far upright.

Parker scored Newport’s second in the 69th minute. 

Quinn got his first goal for Rangers to give them the lead and Addinall scored the fourth in the 80th minute.’

The Supporters Club reported in the match programme that the Bush Hotel in the Goldhawk Road was to be their new headquarters. 

Originally it was going to be the Carlton Ballroom in the Uxbridge Road, but due to unforeseen circumstances,alternative plans had to be made. 

‘These premises, we feel confident, will be even more suitable and will meet with the approval of our members in every way.

They are spacious, well furnished, comfortable and warm. A licensed bar will, of course, be available. There is ample seating accommodation and facilities for indoor recreation, i.e., darts, table tennis etc, and music will be provided.’

As for George Mountford, he did eventually sign and went on to make his debut at Selhurst Park the following Saturday.

Steve Russell