QPR Development Squad (4) – Coventry City U21 (2) – And a Hat-Trick for Steven Bala

U21 Professional Development League 2

Team: Salamon, Jude-Boyd, Shann, Harrack, Gubbins, Clarke-Salter, Murphy, Aoraha, Bala, Dixon-Bonner, Pedder

After a fairly even start at the Powerday Stadium, thirteen minutes in and Kayden Harrack was the first player of the evening to be booked. The resulting free kick from around 25-yards was blasted well over the crossbar.

Around the half-hour mark, Paul Furlong brought on Henry Hawkins at the expense of Arkell Jude-Boyd.

Then, minutes later, the R’s took the lead after Steven Bala’s shot was deflected into the back of the net.

On 38 minutes, Matteo Salamon made an excellent save to deny the visitors.

Then, soon after, following a great run down the right-flank, Harry Murphy’s cross into the box was met by Steven Bala, who proceeded to put the ball beyond Luke Bell.

However, the Sky Blues pulled a goal back just before the break. Matteo Salamon saved Evan Eghosa’s initial effort, and after the ball had come off the post, the City No.7 was on hand to finish. Half-time: 2-1.

Lorent Talla replaced Jake Clarke-Salter for the start of the second-half.

After Steven Bala had turned his marker, the Rangers No.9 fired his shot directly at the City keeper.

At the other end, Matteo Salamon made an outstanding point-blank save from Tom Costello.

Then, Danny Cashman’s powerful shot from around 20-yards forced the R’s keeper into making a flying save and the ball went behind for a corner.

After 59 minutes, Nathan Jeche came on for Rafferty Pedder.

I think it was Tom Costello who equalised for the Sky Blues three minutes later when he successfully headed in Evan Eghosa’s deep cross.

After Bradley Stretton had committed a foul, the City No.3 then kicked the ball away and was duly booked. Alex Aoraha’s subsequent free kick into the box somehow evaded everyone.

On 69 minutes, Evan Eghosa was the next Coventry player to be yellow-carded following a heavy challenge. And the final R’s change was made when Kieran Petrie replaced Elijah Dixon-Bonner.

Justin Obikwu was cautioned for a naughty tackle on an R’s player and he also injured himself in the process.

Rangers re-took the lead in the 83rd minute when Lorent Talla set-up Nathan Jeche, who despite being under some pressure, he kept going and shot past Luke Bell.

Steven Bala completed his hat-trick in added time when he poked the ball into the back of the net.

Amongst those looking on was David Pleat.

Steve Russell