Chesham United Ladies (1) – QPR FC Women (2)

FA Women’s National League Division One (South East)

Team: McLean, Lewin, Jordinson, Carolan, Blodgett, Moore, Akerman, Wardlaw, Curr, Hall, Cutler

For my first trip to the Meadow I met up with Sammy at Rayners Lane Underground Station before travelling on to get the train to Chesham. The £5.00 admission charge included a match programme. 

The first attempt on goal fell to the home side, but the shot from inside the box, evaded the target. 

This was followed by a swift United breakaway, amid big appeals for offside, the resulting effort lacked power anyway. 

This was a good period for Chesham and their next attempt was superbly blocked by Lauren Jordinson, which successfully averted the danger.

At the other end, a good ball was knocked to Mel Hall situated just outside the box. After taking a touch, she turned and fired the ball just past the upright. 

The R’s began to grow into the game and after the ball was squared into the penalty area, the keeper was forced into making a superb flying save.

Then, after receiving a good ball, Milly Cutler broke away, but the attempt was comfortably held by the United keeper.

Just after the half-hour mark, Milly Cutler went down and after receiving some attention, she had to be helped off the pitch to be replaced by Emilia Nygaard-Parsons.

Katie McLean made an outstanding save from a powerful strike on the volley.

Ellen Wardlaw’s free kick taken from a wide-left position, somehow evaded everyone in the box and the ball then bounced off the post. Half-time: 0-0.

Chesham took the lead in the 58th minute when Mathilde Beloou slotted the ball home. 

The home side really should have doubled their lead, but their two attempts on goal in quick succession, were successfully blocked.

That said, QPR went close to an equaliser following a cross into the box. Somehow, two close-range shots weren’t put away and the ball ended up going for a corner. 

With 12 minutes to go, Katie Akerman let fly which the United keeper did well to finger-tip the ball behind.

The away side broke away and, facing Katie McLean one-on-one, the Chesham player directed her shot straight at the R’s keeper.

Three minutes or so from time, R’s Substitute, Chloe Gunn, headed in the equaliser.

The QPR winner came even closer to the final whistle and it came from another Rangers substitute. Frankie Webster’s close-range header from a corner sealed it for the R’s.

Four changes were made in the second-half, which saw the introduction of Gabby Bishop, Laura Hennessy, Frankie Webster and Chloe Gunn at the expense of Ailish Carolan, Brogan Moore, Alice Curr and Mel Hall respectively.

Steve Russell