QPR U18 (0) – Millwall U18 (2)

U18 Professional Development League 2

Team: Cant, Siqueira, Leahy, Brown, McDonald, McCann, Sackey, Tuck, Nicholas-Davies, Bouhiaoui, Wright

Sub Not Used: Patel

I met up with my mate and Swedish R, Simon Staal, outside Hounslow East Underground Station before taking the bus to Heston.

Two other games were also in progress. Behind us the U16’s were also up against Millwall and further over we think it was the U15’s taking on Wimbledon?

On a bright but cold, windy morning at the training ground, it was the home side who got off to an assertive start. 

Sam Sackey did well to get through two opponents before sending Reece Nicholas-Davies away, but the R’s No.9 was unfortunately ruled offside.

Then, good work by Nicholas-Davies down the right-flank got him to the bye-line and the resulting effort was cleared to safety., 

On the opposite flank, Sam Sackey weaved his way through to the bye-line, which was to win him a corner after the ball was headed behind.

Following a good cross, Ramy Bouhiaui headed the ball down and wide of the upright. Then, from a corner towards the far-post, Reece Nicholas-Davies got his head to the ball, but again, it flashed wide of the target.

At the other end, following a cross into the box, Jake Leahy made a quick interception just as the Lions player was about to shoot and he then cleared the ball to safety.

Guilherme Siqueira was pushed over just outside the box. Ms Horwood decided not to book the culprit and the resulting free kick was successfully blocked by the wall. 

Nicholas-Davies did really well to reach a through-ball after it looked like it was going to run out, (George Evans must have also thought so as he remained rooted to the spot). The R’s No.9’s shot was directed low, but straight at the keeper.

Despite QPR having the best of it, Millwall had a very good opportunity just before the interval. After breaking away and getting one-on-one with Harry Cant, the R’s keeper made an excellent stop. Half-time: 0-0.

Into the second-half, and after Sam Sackey had bombed down the left-wing, the Rangers’ No.7 curled his shot which ended up being blocked. Later, he was booked for standing over the ball after Millwall had been awarded a free kick. 

Alfie Massey tapped the ball in the net on 54 minutes to give the Lions the lead after the home side had lost possession. 

Three changes were made on 57 minutes which saw the introduction of Emmerson Sutton, Kemoko Keita-Turay and Sam Manufor at the expense of Guilherme Siqueira, Charlie McDonald and Ramy Bouhiaoui respectively. 

As Rangers looked for an equaliser, Sam Sackey was clipped, but managed to stay on his feet. Ms Horwood awarded the free kick which then went off the wall for a corner.

After former Saints player, Rylee Wright was blatantly tugged, Alfie Massey was shown a yellow card.

The wind caught Adedapo Olugbodi’s audacious shot from near the half-way line which ended up coming off the frame of the goal.

Soon after this on 71 minutes, Kavalli Heywood doubled Millwall’s lead.

A good ball found Sam Sackey who, although he did well to get his shot in, his effort cleared the crossbar. 

The Lions keeper was booked for time wasting.

After Sam Sackey had got close to the bye-line, his shot just evaded the far-post.

Little on target for the home side in the second-half, but credit to a very well organised Millwall defence, who had certainly made it difficult. 

Steve Russell