QPR FC Women (0) – Arsenal Women’s Academy (3)

Capital Women’s Cup

Team: McLean, Leys, Wardlaw, Bishop, Lewin, Carolan, Hall, Blodgett, Cutler, Pope, Webster

Club captain Hayley Peacock began her programme notes with: ‘It’s not often we get to play in a London derby quite like this. 

After a convincing 4-1 win over Enfield Town in the previous round, we welcome Arsenal Women’s Academy in the next round of the Capital Women’s Cup….’

Under a bright sky at the Powerday Stadium, the game got off to a fairly even start. 

It was the away side that fashioned the first real goalscoringopportunity of the afternoon when the ball fell to the Arsenal No.57 and her shot then forced Katie McLean down to smother the ball. 

Following a throw-in, Jo Blodgett’s sliced shot went up in the air and ended up just wide of the target. 

The R’s then went even closer to opening the scoring when Frankie Webster’s header was tipped over the crossbar. From the resulting corner, Mel Hall’s low drive was successfully held by the Arsenal keeper.

Nicole Leys produced some superb skill which saw her weave her way past a number of opponents. 

This was good spell for the R’s and following an excellent cross into the box, Millie Cutler’s close-range shot was well saved by the Arsenal keeper. 

Despite QPR being on top, it was the visitors who took the lead in the 37th minute when Lucy Fazackerley slotted the ball in the net beyond Katie McLean. 

This opening goal sparked Arsenal into upping their gamefurther and Katie Mclean palmed the ball away with a superb one-handed save.

The R’s keeper then charged forward and managed to grasp the ball at the second attempt. 

Rangers had been the better side, but that said, the visitors had finished the half strongly and were a goal up. 

Into the second-half and Katie McLean, facing an opponent one-on-one, did really well to keep out a powerful strike on goal.

On 59 minutes, Brogan Moore replaced Mel Hall. 

Six minutes or so later, Arsenal doubled their lead when Leyla O’Brien curled her shot into the back of the net. 

Two final changes were then made which saw the introduction of Grace Stanley and Alice Curr at the expense of Ellen Wardlaw and Millie Cutler respectively.

Despite the deficit, Rangers fought on and went close with a couple of opportunities of their own. Frankie Webster almost pulled a goal back from close range and Jo Blodgett then headed just wide of the target.

But Arsenal added a third after a breakaway down the left flank. This led to the R’s keeper initially making an excellent save and the ball going behind. 

However, an unmarked Ruby Seaby put the tie beyond doubt from the resulting corner.

Steve Russell