QPR FC Women (0) – Cambridge United Women (0)

FA Women’s National League Division One (South East)

Team: McLean, Curr, Searle, Lewin, Gunn, Jordinson, Pope, Hennessy, Cutler, Moore, Petit

This encounter against Cambridge United was the first QPR league match at the Powerday Stadium since October. Two weeks earlier the R’s had progressed into the next round of the Capital Women’s County Cup after knocking out Enfield Town.

Rangers got off to an assertive start, forcing three or four corners in the process.

But a rare breakaway by the away side down the right-flank, got them to the bye-line, which resulted in a shot going just past the far-post. Then, a U’s powerful effort from fully 25-yards bounced off the crossbar.

Whilst at the other end, the ball fell to Erin Pope on the edge of the box and her shot finished just wide of the target.

United were awarded a free kick just outside the penalty area after an R’s defender had been booked for a pull-back on an opponent. Katie McLean did well to dive and grab the ball in mid-air from the resulting free kick.

Ellie Searle bombed down the wing to get to the bye-line, where she set-up Erin Pope. Her flick at goal finished up just wide of the far-post.

Katie McLean bravely smothered the ball in front of a U’s player, but it left her grounded and requiring some treatment. Half-time: 0-0.

Rangers went close to breaking the deadlock when a header was knocked round the post for a corner.

On the hour-mark, Steve Quashie brought on Jo Blodgett and Grace Stanley at the expense of Erin Pope and Millie Cutler respectively.

Following a good move down the left-wing, Katie McLean made a superb save to deny the visitors.

Lauren Jordinson went close to putting the R’s ahead with a spectacular attempt on goal.

On 70 minutes, Ailish Carolan replaced Lauren Jordinson and five minutes later the final two changes were made, which saw Gabby Bishop and Ellen Wardlaw come on for Alice Curr and Kasha Petit respectively.

A game of few goal attempts, but the R’s keeper was called upon in the closing stages to make another very good save.

Steve Russell