QPR FC Women (2) – Ashford Town (Middlesex) Women’s FC (1)

FA Women’s National League Division One (South East)

Team: Burgess, Leys, Hall, Jordinson, Grieve, Carolan, Pope, Blodgett, Webster, Moore, Petit

Subs: Cutler, Wardlaw, Bishop, Gunn

At No.9 for the home side was Frankie Webster and making her home debut was Shayla Burgess.

After the R’s had lost possession outside the visitors’ penalty area, the away side broke away which led to Shayla Burgess making an excellent save.

Then, a few minutes later, the Tangerines went close with a shot that went just over the crossbar. This was followed shortly after with a similar effort.

At the other end, a good strike from just outside the box was held by the Ashford keeper and just after that, Kasha Petit shot just over the crossbar.

Shayla Burgess denied the visitors with a superb diving save and the ball went behind for a corner.

After Ashford had been awarded a free kick, the ball was knocked into the box. The R’s keeper couldn’t quite hold onto the ball, but a defender was on hand to put it safely behind.

From the resulting corner, Shayla Burgess made a very brave save at the feet of an opponent.

A good QPR move led to Nicole Leys firing a powerful shot at the Ashford keeper.

After losing possession, the Tangerines forced another excellent save from the R’s keeper, and seven minutes before the break the away side had another good opportunity to take the lead.

However, it was the R’s who took the lead just before the interval when Brogan Moore absolutely smashed the ball into the back of the net. Half-time: 1-0.

Into the second-half and the Tangerines got their equaliser from a lofted effort. Shayla Burgess did well to get a hand to the ball but couldn’t keep it out.

Ashford really should have taken the lead when, an unmarked player, and with just the keeper to beat, the shot cleared the crossbar.

A dangerous cross from the right found Erin Pope but her header lacked power. This left the Tangerines keeper grounded and requiring treatment.

Steve Quashie took off Kasha Petit and the oncoming Gabby Bishop slotted in at right  wing-back.

Rangers took the lead courtesy of Nicole Leys. The Ashford defender attempted to clear the ball, but it ended up in the back of the net.

Mel Hall fired in a shot which was followed by two 25-yard efforts from Brogan Moore. The keeper managed to keep out the first one and the second attempt two minutes later flew just past the upright.

After Ashford had been awarded a free kick for hand-ball the resulting shot bounced of the crossbar.

Three changes were made in a matter of minutes, which saw the introduction of Chloe Gunn, Ellen Wardlaw and Millie Cutler respectively.

The Tangerines were awarded a free kick from just outside the box, which then saw the ball looping just over the crossbar.

Rangers successfully negotiated the eight added minutes and therefore secured the three points in what was a closely fought encounter.

Steve Russell