QPR U18 (3) – Millwall U18 (4)

U18 Professional Development League 2

Team: Salamon, Harrack (Luzinda), McDonald, Hawkins, Bagan, Cotter, Dougi, Brown, Kolli (Sackey), Haysman, Bala

Subs Not Used: Cant, Hamid

On a sunny, but breezy afternoon at Heston, it was the R’s who took the lead on seven minutes after Steven Bala had superbly put Adam Dougi through on goal. He then proceeded to coolly slot the ball into the back of the net.

After an effort from the visitors had hit the inside of the upright, the flag went up for offside.

At the other end, Adam Dougi’s corner found Kayden Harrackbut his header lacked power and Ryan Hammond was able to grab the ball.

Steven Bala broke through and fed the ball to a team mate in a good position. His shot very closely evaded the far post.

Then Adam Dougi superbly curled his effort goalwards, but a Millwall defender at full-stretch, put the ball behind for a corner.

Despite this good spell from the R’s it was the visitors who scored the next goal. Matteo Salamon had made a great save from Romain Esse but couldn’t keep out the follow-up.

As Rangers looked to re-take the lead, Dougi’s cross from the right-wing found Kolli, who then flicked the ball from close range, but the Lions’ keeper managed to get a hand to it and keep it out.

Millwall took the lead following a free kick swung in towards the near-post, where Henry Hearn was well-placed to head the ball into the back of the net.

Hearn’s half-volley forced Matteo Salamon into making an acrobatic save, tipping the ball onto the crossbar which was then cleared to safety.

A good ball into the box found Rayan Kolli, but his shot was blocked and then struck upfield.

For the Lions, Arezki Hamouchene squared the ball into the box where the shot was initially blocked and then Samuel Bagan managed to make a good clearance off the line.

Millwall scored a third goal in added time after a cross from the left. The ball hit the near-post but then came off Bagan and into the net. Half-time: 1-3.

The Lions extended their lead four minutes or so after the break. Esse’s swung his free kick into the net with the R’s keeper rooted to the spot.

But QPR pulled a goal back a couple of minutes later after Rayan Kolli had moved into the box and shot wide of the keeper from close range.

Then Steven Bala’s low effort from inside the area was knocked behind for a corner.

Whilst under pressure, Matteo Salamon did really well to successfully grab the ball at the second attempt.

But it was the home side who scored next after the ball was threaded through the middle and Rayan Kolli made no mistake from close range.

On 69 minutes, Moses Luzinda was introduced at the expense of Kayden Harrack, which was followed by Ernie Cheeseman getting booked for a foul on Rayan Kolli.

After Steven Bala was impeded close to the corner flag, the resulting free kick saw Adam Dougi curl his shot just wide of the far post.

The next attempt on goal was provided by Riley Cotter. His excellent effort was well saved by Ryan Hammond, who had to dive low to keep the ball out.

The next Rangers change came on 82 minutes when Samuel Sackey replaced Rayan Kolli.

The R’s sub was soon in action. His excellent ball over from the right-flank just evaded Adam Dougi in the box.

Looking initially as Sackey’s next cross was too deep, it was then caught by the cross-wind and the ball very nearly nestled in the far corner.

Fin Cotton was booked for kicking the ball away.

A Millwall player looked as if he had hit his head as he landed. This left him grounded for a while and eventually a stretched arrived. The ref decided to call a halt to the game, with possibly a couple of minutes to spare.

Rangers had created numerous goal attempts and were unlucky not to get at least a draw.

Amongst those looking on were Martin Rowlands, Marcus Bean and Jerome Thomas.

Steve Russell