QPR U23 (0) – Charlton Athletic U23 (3)

U23 Professional Development League 2

Team: Halwax, Jude-Boyd, Pitblado, Bettache, Woodman, Mahorn, Ajose, Pedder, Lloyd, Flaherty, Dju

Subs Not Used: Little, Remy

On a very cold afternoon in Ruislip, the team sheet revealed two trialists for the R’s. Mesaque Dju at No.11, who incidentally, scored a hat-trick for the ‘B’ team last week, and on the bench was 18-year-old Jaami Qureshi from Brighton & Hove Albion.

Rangers got off to an assertive start, with Joseph Ajose looking very lively down the right-wing. He burst forward, played a one-two, which took him into the box, but his shot was deflected for a corner.

But gradually the visitors grew into the game. A dangerous free kick into the box evaded everyone and continued to go out of play.

Then, Harry Halwax made a superb save to deny the Addicks. The R’s keeper then did well to keep out a shot that was heading for the corner.

Charlton took the lead around the half-hour mark following a swift breakaway. U23’s debutant Miles Leaburn (who had scored two goals for their U18’s last Saturday), received a pass from Aaron Henry, and proceeded to slot the ball into the left-hand corner.

The Addicks doubled their lead with a similar move a few minutes later. This time it was Jeremy Santos who provided the assist for the young Charlton striker.

Although the visitors were having the best of it, the Charlton keeper made an outstanding save when he had to spread himself on the goal-line to keep out Alfie Lloyd’s strong effort.

Ahmed Kone then dived to his left to push away a shot from Mesaque Dju. This was a good period for the R’s and the next attempt on goal came from Rafferty Pedder. However, his free kick from just outside the box ended up wide of the upright. Half-time: 0-2.

Into the second-half and Rangers had some good spells of possession and build-up play without really troubling the Addicks keeper. Nazir Bakrin was booked following a foul on Joseph Ajose.

Two changes were made just after the hour-mark with Jaami Qureshi replacing Mesaque Dju, which was quickly followed by Elijah Anthony coming on for Arkell Jude-Boyd.

Stan Flaherty (so named after Stan Bowles), absolutely belted the ball goalwards and it took a finger-tip save from Ahmed Kone to put it over the bar for a corner.

Henry Hawkins had earlier replaced Faysal Bettache and he made a superb close-range challenge to avert the threat of a third Charlton goal.

That pretty much ended any threat from the home side, whilst at the other end with 15 minutes remaining, Trent Mahorn trip on Dylan Gavin just outside the box earned him a second yellow card. Aaron Henry’s then curled his free kick just wide of the post.

Harry Halwax made an excellent flying save following a corner. Then, the visitors really should have added a third goal after a ball over from the right-flank was headed wide of the far post by an unmarked Ryan Viggars.

Mr Parkinson booked Zach Mitchell after he had fouled Alfie Lloyd who was all-set to head upfield.

Miles Leaburn completed his hat-trick in added time from the penalty-spot after Deon Woodman had brought him down.

Amongst those looking on were; Marc Bircham, Lee Cook, Martin Rowlands and Marcus Bean.

Steve Russell