QPR U18 (0) – Watford U18 (1)

U18 Professional Development League 2

Team: Salamon, Harrack, Siquiera, Delyfer, McDonald, Hawkins, Bala, Cotter, Danso, Murphy, Angelov

Sub Not Used: Cant

On a chilly, but bright morning at Heston, Gui Siquiera went on a run down the left-wing, which then took him into the box, but his effort lacked power and Jonathan Macaulay was able to smother the ball.

After ten minutes, a defensive error let in Adrian Blake. His shot was saved and then cleared to safety.

Although sandwiched by two defenders, Steven Bala did well to win a corner. The resulting effort was blocked, and the ball was then played out towards the centre-circle.

At the other end, following a very good Rangers move into the Watford box, Steven Bala headed Harry Murphy’s cross just over the crossbar.

QPR were doing well closing down the Watford defenders and thus making it difficult for them to play it out from the back.

The away side took the lead after Remeiro Moulton was clearly tripped in the box. Adrian Blake stepped up and planted his spot-kick in the bottom left-hand corner.

Aware of the impending threat on goal, Matteo Salamoncharged out 30 yards or so to hoof the ball upfield.

Following a superb move, Harry Murphy’s shot was either just creeping into the corner or going just wide, but the Hornets’ keeper dived anyway. Half-time: 0-1.

Three changes were made for the second-half; captain, Henry Hawkins, Ferrell Danso and Peter Angelov made way for Elijah Anthony, Mason Obeng and Jaime Sacoponrespectively.

Matteo Salamon made a very good save from Kyrell Lisbie, when he dived to his left and put the ball behind for a corner.

The home side had been moving the ball much quicker since the break. Mason Obeng was set-up in the box, but after some hesitation, his shot was blocked. Then, Steven Bala, now playing upfront, forced a decent save from the Watford keeper.

An excellent pass (probably the best of the match), through the middle was picked up by Jaime Sacopon, who burst forward, but it came to nothing.

Matteo Salamon made a superb close-range save from Lisbie. From the resulting corner, and possibly unsighted, the Rangers keeper did really well to gather the ball.

Into the final stages, and facing a well-organised Watford defence, the R’s managed a couple of strikes on goal. Firstly, Mason Obeng’s fierce shot was well-saved, which was then followed by Harry Murphy’s effort being kept out by Jonathan Macaulay, diving low to his left.

Mr Kelly eventually dealt with Watford’s time-wasting antics when he booked two Hornets players in added time.

Next up for the young R’s is a home game on Saturday against Swansea City.

Steve Russell