Watched by about 500 Spectators & two Dogs, QPR’s first Competitive Match was against Tottenham Hotspur in 1890.

QPR’s first competitive match was played on 1st November 1890, when they took on Tottenham Hotspur at Brondesbury Park in the 2nd round of the London Senior Cup.

Around 500 attended the game and the Rangers side lined-up as follows: A. Schneidan, T. Saunders, H. Sturges, J. Spurr, W. Ridout, J. McKenzie, A. Druett, F. Weller, A. Morris, A. Teagle, J. McDonald. The Reserves were: W. H. Jones & S. Reynolds.

The following match report appeared a week later in the West London Observer:

‘Securing a bye in the first round of the London Senior Cup, the former club saved themselves up to meet their redoubtable opponents the Hotspur, in the second round last Saturday at Brondesbury Park.

With wonderful weather, just cold enough, sunshine moderately laid on, and about 500 spectators and two dogs to cheer, two and twenty footballers fell in and marched to the football field.

Referee (a Mr Roston Bourke) and two umpires in readiness, and having won the toss, the home team defended the western goal.

Play ruled in favour of the Rangers at the set off and even later on, but visits were exchanged during thirty minutes’ play, and in that period certainly the Rangers had hard luck several times.

Teagle having the “box of games” all to himself twice, but his shooting was outside and “Oh, so high.”

At length Drewett, who had been energetically useful, centred in and McDonald being at home, four hundred throats poured forth a succession of howls, which was continued for five minutes.

Down to half-time nothing else was scored, but McKenzie got trodden on and had to “pull up his socks” for a short time. Sturges and Saunders at back got all their work well up to time, but the forwards were not combined or at home.

After the interval the Rangers were against the wind and sun. It was at this point that the game really began, for the Tottenham men only now got in form, and it was positively inspiring to see Sturges repeatedly averting attacks. Whilst Saunders, in spite of his bad knee, was always on hand at the call of duty, and once he spent a forward in fine style, allowing the man in goal to fist away.

Ridout was the pick of the halves and McDonald about shared honours with Druett in the leading row.

Time rolled on, and it looked like a win for the Rangers, despite the fact that their home was the scene of action, but at length Tottenham scored with a fast low shot, the result of a loose scrum, and the one hundred patient toilers from the E-sex El-do-rado got three-feet-six in the air and shouted like “blue murder”.

Both sides pulled themselves together and prepared to score, but determination was not associated with successful action in this case, as the relentless whistle of the referee brought the match to a conclusion when neither team could claim the superiority, but today will see the problem solved or a repetition of last Saturday’s result.’

They don’t write them like that anymore! Tottenham won the replay 1-2 at White Hart Lane the following Saturday.

Steve Russell

(Thanks to Colin Woodley & Gordon Macey for their assistance)