QPR U23 (1) – Watford U23 (2)

U23 Professional Development League

Team: Brzozowski, Williams-Lowe, Domi, B. Wells, Gubbins, Carlyle, Shodipo, Bansal-McNulty, Walker, Frailing, Dalling

Subs Not Used: Little, Duke-McKenna

On a very wet afternoon at Harlington, Amrit Bansal-McNulty captained the Rangers side and noted on the bench for the visitors was former R’s goalkeeper, Harvey White.

Mr Skipper waved play-on after an infringement and after a good run by Amrit Bansal-McNulty, the ball was headed over the crossbar by Jake Frailing following a cross from the right.

The visitors could well have taken the lead soon after, when the referee decided that Joe Gubbins had brought down Joseph Hungbo in the box and pointed to the spot. However, Marcin Brzozowski saved Ryan Cassidy’s penalty and his follow-up was cleared off the line.

QPR’s first shot on target came from Olamide Shodipo when his effort from inside the box, was comfortably saved by Adam Parkes. Then Deshane Dalling was also unsuccessful after he let fly.

Adam Parkes saved Shodipo’s powerful strike after moving outside the six-yard box to narrow the angle.

A careless giveaway of the ball in midfield allowed the Hornets to break away at pace. Marcin Brzozowski stood his ground and made a good save. From the resulting corner, he sprung superbly to push the ball behind. Half-time: 0-0.

Into the second-half and Amrit Bansal-McNulty’s through ball found Jake Frailing. He could well have finished, but the keeper made the save and the ball went behind. From the corner-kick, Nathan Carlyle was on hand to score from close range.

Charlie Rowan was introduced on 58 minutes at the expense of Joe Gubbins.

Watford equalised from their second spot-kick of the afternoon after Charlie Rowan was adjudged to have brought down Joseph Hungbo in the box. A contrasting opinion from some around me was that he had dived in anticipation of Rowan’s incoming challenge.

Jake Frailing made way for Shiloh Remy on 63 minutes.

Deshane Dalling’s powerful strike knocked over a Watford defender on its way for a corner.

The visitors took the lead after 72 minutes when Jayden Bennetts flicked the ball into the net following a ball in from the right.

Dalling produced another excellent shot, forcing Parkes down to make a good save.

The Hornets almost added a third goal after Sam Darby’s effort was driven against the post and from the rebound Marcin Brzozowski superbly stopped the follow-up.

Then, after the ball had been given away in the Watford half, the visitors broke away at speed and the R’s custodian made an excellent one-on-one save.

Other attendees included Gary Waddock and Fitz Hall.

Steve Russell