QPR U18 (2) – Crewe Alexandra U18 (0)

U18 Professional Development League 2

Team: Cooper, Drewe, Pitblado, Remy, McLean, Carlyle, Raymond-Callender, Douglas, Kendall, Conte, Grant.

Sub Not Used: Middlehurst

Jake Frailing had picked up an injury two weeks previously in the 1-0 defeat at Ipswich, but he had made it to the bench. Aaron Drewe captained the side.

In very blustery conditions on Saturday morning, Rangers got off to an assertive start at Heston.

The lively Khaliq Raymond-Callender found Charley Kendall in the box, whose effort was saved by Sam Booth.

Then just after, following good build-up play, the same two players combined again. QPR No. 9’s powerful strike was aimed directly at the Crewe keeper.

Whilst at the other end, a low hard drive forced Murphy Cooper to dive at the near post and put the ball round for a corner.

There was an anxious moment when Charley Kendall collided with a Crewe defender, leaving the R’s striker grounded and holding his leg. Thankfully he was able to return after receiving some treatment.

An infringement followed some excellent Rangers inter-passing play. Charley Kendall’s free kick from 25 yards sailed just over the crossbar.

The Alex keeper confidently weaved his way around two R’s players before clearing the ball to safety. Whilst Murphy Cooper made an outstanding stop with a raised arm, following a ferocious shot.

The visitors had the ball in the net from a lofted effort, but it was ruled out for offside.

Dejarhn Grant let fly from just outside the area, which narrowly cleared the crossbar.

Raheem Conte set up Kie Douglas who ended up in need of some attention after coming into contact with the advancing Crewe keeper. Half-time: 0-0.

Paul Furlong introduced Trent Mahorn for the start of the second-half in place of Nathan Carlyle.

Raymond-Callender got to the bye-line and fired the ball across, resulting in the Crewe keeper putting it behind for a corner.

Kendall’s beautiful flick-on into the path of Grant set up a Rangers counter-attack. He continued his run and blazed the ball over the crossbar.

A double substitution was made on 63 minutes with Grant and Kendall making way for Babajide and Frailing respectively.

Murphy Cooper made an outstanding save when he spectacularly dived backwards to avert what looked like a certain goal.

Crewe had looked the better side for the opening period and it wasn’t until the 70th minute that the home side achieved their first shot on target since the break when Babajide drilled the ball at Sam Booth.

But Rangers had begun to pick up their game with some neat, crisp passing and effective movement.

The breakthrough came on 80 minutes following a through ball to Babajide. He then fed Conte outside the six-yard box for the QPR No. 10 to fire low into the back of the net.

The R’s doubled their lead two minutes later. Conte passed to Remy who cut across the box and absolutely belted the ball past Sam Booth.

With Raheem Conte down and receiving some attention, Ms. Marlow blew the final whistle.

Also in attendance was Martin Rowlands.

Steve Russell