QPR U23 (5) – Crystal Palace U23 (0)

U23 Professional Development League

Team: Brzozowski, Kakay, Hamalainen, Goss, Bassong, Hall, Smyth, Owens, Oteh, Chair, Dalling

Sub Not Used: Dickinson

On a glorious sunny afternoon at Harlington with the temperature somewhere in the high 70’s, Rangers took the lead after five minutes.

Paul Smyth had burst down the right -flank and after his shot hit the far post, Deshane Dalling was nicely placed to finish from close range.

Paul Hall’s side doubled their lead a minute or so later following a counter-attack with Aramide Oteh curling his shot into the right-hand corner.

Then Dalling’s shot was scooped up in the air by the Palace keeper and as it was dropping Oteh side-footed the ball just over the crossbar.

Rangers were 3-0 up after 10 minutes when Sebastien Bassong nodded in Sean Goss’s corner at the far post.

A good move initiated by Paul Smyth resulted in Dion Henry making a good save and sending the ball behind for a corner.

The R’s notched up a fourth goal after 21 minutes when the Palace defence had failed to clear their lines. Ilias Chair picked up the loose ball from just outside the box and took aim. Dion Henry managed to get a glove to his shot but he couldn’t prevent it hitting the back of the net.

As Rangers went looking for a fifth goal, at the other end, Marcin Brzozowski had hardly had a touch of the ball.

Oteh got himself into a good position and blasted the ball, which forced Dion Henry into making a very good save. Then over on the right-flank, Paul Smyth was clearly having his shirt tugged, but Mr Skipper chose to award a corner!

The Palace keeper made another very good save, diving to his right after Sean Goss had pinged his shot goalwards.

A rare threat by the visitors was superbly intercepted by Grant Hall and the R’s were back on the offensive.

Jonny Williams took advantage when both Goss and Bassong switched off, but he blasted his effort well over the crossbar.

Paul Smyth tried unsuccessfully to run off a knock and had to be taken off. He was replaced by Ody Alfa on 38 minutes. Half-time: 4-0.

Ben Wells was introduced for the start of the second-half at the expense of Grant Hall.

Dion Henry made a good stop with his legs from close range and the Eagles upped their game, actually forcing their first corner of the match.

On 64 minutes Joe Felix came on for Sean Goss.

Ilias Chair shrugged off a challenge and proceeded to shoot just over the crossbar. Following a breakaway down the left-wing, the R’s No.10 then set-up Dalling who’s left-footed shot found the far corner.

Palace came close to a consolation goal in the 86th minute when Gio McGregor’s curling strike bounced off the crossbar. However Rob Street’s follow-up tap in was ruled out for offside.

Rangers actually finished the match with nine men as Dalling went off close to the final whistle and earlier Oteh wasn’t able to continue after picking up an injury.

Steve Russell