Hayes & Yeading United (1) – QPR U23 (0

Team: Dieng, Felix, Genovesi, Bettache, Wells, Fox, Platt, Bansal-McNulty, Mesias, Lewis-Eshun, Dalling

Attendance: 165

With 23 players being used at Harlington for the behind closed doors friendly against Charlton, Paul Hall named a young side to take on Hayes & Yeading at the SkyEx Stadium.

Charlie Fox was appointed captain, whilst Scott Donnelly led the home side. Jason Roberts was spotted in the stand.

The kick-off time had been brought forward to 12.30 to allow fans to watch the World Cup match at 3pm. That said the game commenced at least seven minutes late.

On a scorching afternoon, Deshane Dalling was put away down the left flank and after cutting in, his effort was stopped by the legs of the Hayes trialist keeper.

Whilst at the other end, the home side obtained a corner with a header just clearing the crossbar.

This was followed by Seny Dieng making a good stop from Manny Duku in a close range position and the ball going behind for a corner.

For the young R’s, Dalling squared the ball to set up Bansal-McNulty whose effort from inside the box went over the bar.

Former ‘R’, Scott Donnelly, was taken off after he looked as if he had pulled a muscle and was then replaced by Scott Bridges.

But is was United who took the lead from Bridges’ free kick, which found Duku and his diving header evaded the Rangers custodian inside the right-hand post.

Mr Nayir booked Ben Wells after he had impeded Ola Olajubu.

The home side went close with a header that just cleared the bar following a corner. And hesitation by two QPR defenders let in Scott Bridges who blasted the ball from fully 30 yards, which bounced off the crossbar.

A cross/shot from a United player situated just inside the box, was screwed just past the far post. Half-time: 0-1.

Into the second-half and Amrit Bansal-McNulty weaved his way through but his shot lacked power as it meandered along the ground.

The R’s keeper made a flying save to keep out a powerful effort from one of United’s trialists. Manny Folarin was shown a yellow card seemingly for something he said?

Seny Dieng made another superb save when he managed to stick out a leg to stop a close range shot.

A good passing move set up Kingsley Eshun, but his attempt was easily smothered by the Hayes keeper.

Paul Hall made a number of changes on the hour mark bringing on; Brzozowski, Williams, Noel-McLeod, Alfa and Cardoso, to replace; Seny Dieng, Genovesi, Wells, Platt and Bansal-McNulty respectively.

A burst of pace saw Deshane Dalling bomb down the left-wing, who then put over a dangerous cross, which resulted in the Hayes custodian successfully clutching the ball.

Rangers really should have equalised when Cardoso got himself into a close range, one-on-one position, but the United keeper was able to make an easy save.

With minutes remaining and with some fans drifting off ahead of England’s World Cup game, Dalling broke free and his attempt forced Luke Daley into making a very good save.

At the final whistle, I headed straight off for the 20-minute walk to ‘The Grapes’ to await the 140 bus back to South Harrow.

Steve Russell

3 thoughts on “Hayes & Yeading United (1) – QPR U23 (0

    • Surely during your cycle ride to and from the game rather than at the game?
      We were all under the big main stand unless you found the only part where there was a hole in the roof!

  1. I had been to see the under 18s at Heston beforehand. There is no cover there so I was exposed to the sun , plus the cycle ride from Greenford to Heston then to Beaconsfield Road. I resemble a prawn.

Comments are closed.