QPR U23 (2) – Nottingham Forest U23 (2)

U23 Professional Development League

Team: Brzozowski, Akinola, Fox, Ochieng, Paul, Phillips, Tilt, Owens, Eshun, Stylianides, Hamalainen

Sub Not Used: Alfa

The team sheet revealed the latest trialist at No. 4, Henry Ochieng. The 19-year-old midfielder had begun his career with West Ham and had recently left Leyton Orient.

Zenon Stylianides produced a lovely turn and crossed the ball when a shot at goal may have been a better option. Then, Niko Hamalainen headed Charlie Owens’ corner over the crossbar.

Rangers were awarded a free kick from just outside the corner of the penalty area. Chay Tilt’s shot dipped and Liam Bossin palmed the ball over the bar.

The R’s took the lead after 11 minutes following Charlie Owens’ corner. He found

Kingsley Eshun in the six-yard box, who forced the ball home.,

After receiving a lovely through ball, Eshun’s shot moved swiftly along the ground and past the far post.

Niko Hamalainen’s angled effort hit the near post and his follow-up shot was well blocked by Anel Ahmedhodzic.

Virgil Gomis burst forward and Henry Ochieng was booked after bringing him down. Aaron Smith’s free kick from just outside the box dipped between the R’s keeper and the crossbar.

Romeo Akinola went on a great run, twisting and turning before seeing his cross knocked behind for a corner.

Chay Tilt set off and his through ball found Charlie Owens who then shot just wide of the far post. Half-time: 1-1.

For the re-start Paul Hall brought on Mickel Platt for Kingsley Eshun.

The visitors had a good opportunity to take the lead when Virgil Gomis broke through and his effort was chested away by Marcin Brzozowski.

Forest were awarded a penalty after six minutes, despite looking to me as if Toby Edser had dived! Brzozowskimoved low to his left to make a comfortable save and then had something to say about it!

Marcin Brzozowski retrieved the ball from inside the goal after the ball had got through in the side of the net.

On the hour mark, Caden Genovesi was introduced at the expense of Giles Phillips and Charlie Fox moved to centre-back.

Arvin Appiah slotted the ball in at the far post after being fed by Aaron Smith to give the visitors the lead.

Zenon Stylianides was brought down in the penalty area after beating 2/3 players en route and Mr Miles pointed to the spot. Charlie Owen’s kick unfortunately flew high over the crossbar.

Rangers were awarded another penalty a minute laterfollowing a handball. Chay Tilt made no mistake directing the ball into the left-hand corner although the keeper appeared to get something on it.

A lovely pass found Chay Tilt who ran into the box and forced Bossin into a superb save.  Charlie Owens made way for Aiden Mesias after 74 minutes.

Caden Genovesi had a good shot stopped on the line, whilst at the other end Brzozowski made an outstanding save, which then saw the Forest player dive from the follow-up!

Forest had Edser booked for a cynical foul on Genovesiand he then won a third penalty for the R’s in added time after being brought down in the box.

Chay Tilt’s spot kick was kept out by Liam Bossin, and a minute later Mr Miles blew the final whistle.

Steve Russell