QPR U23 (0) – Crystal Palace U23 (3)

U23 Professional Development League

Team: Herdman, Kakay, Fox, Wallen, Paul, Phillips, Smyth, Owens, Oteh, Tilt, Shodipo

Sub Not Used: Hudnott

As Rangers got off to an assertive start, Aramide Oteh swung at the in-coming cross, which was then deflected behind for another corner. This time the R’s striker collided with the Palace keeper who ended up dazed on the ground and in need of some attention.

Then, with good control of the ball, he burst through the middle and his effort went out for a corner. Oteh’s header was then cleared off the line amidst a half-hearted appeal for handball?

Despite this early pressure, it was the away side who took the lead on 17 minutes. Jason Lokilo was unmarked at the far post, and he side-footed the ball into the net at the near post.

Palace doubled their lead four minutes later following a through ball that left Martin Herdman totally exposed. All Lokilo had to do was roll the ball into the net.

Although the Eagles were having the best of it, Giles Phillips managed to bend his head round the ball, sending it just wide of the far post.

The visitors scored a third in the 30th minute after a miscued effort was palmed out to Sullay Kaikai, who belted the ball into the back of the net from close range.

Whilst at the other end Charlie Owens’ powerful volley from the edge of the box was comfortably saved by Dion Henry, who still had to dive full-length.

Mr Fissenden showed Aaron Bissaka a yellow card and the last real opportunity of note fell to Olamide Shodipo who blazed the ball well over the crossbar after a superb pass from Charlie Owens.

At the interval it remained 3-0 to the visitors.

Into the 2nd half and Michael Phillips blocked Oteh’s shot from close range. Then Palace went close too adding a fourth.

Nya Kirby, in a wide right position, looked as if he was going to cross the ball, but decided to shoot hard and low towards the near post, which Martin Herdman managed to save with his legs.

It was Levi Lumeka who evaded some challenges in the penalty area before pulling the trigger, forcing the R’s keeper into making an excellent stop and the ball went out for a corner.

Palace were awarded a free kick on the right-hand side of the box. The ball found its way through the wall and Herdman blocked it with his legs at the near post.

Osman Kakay was booked seemingly for kicking the ball away, but the consensus of opinion was that it could well have been a case of mistaken identity?

On 67 minutes, Chay Tilt and Olamide Shodipo made way for Danny Rowe and Danny Darbyshire respectively.

This led to Oteh being instructed to move over to the left-wing and Darbyshire leading the attack.

There was an amusing moment when Papa Souare was awarded a free kick after he had blatantly dived. Then, as he passed us to retrieve the ball with a big smile on his face, he ran back saying: “Sorry, Sorry, Sorry!”

On 78 minutes the R’s captain, Josh Wallen was replaced by Kingsley Eshun and Aramide Oteh moved in from the wing to central-midfield.

Rangers came close to scoring a consolation goal late on when Charlie Owens’ curling 20-yard shot came off the post.

Also in attendance was Gareth Ainsworth.

Steve Russell