QPR U18 (1) – Huddersfield Town U18 (2)

U18 Professional Development League 2

Team: Dickinson, Springer-Downes, Antwi, Orafu, Noel-McLeod, Gubbins, Goather-Braithwaite, Akinola, Francis-Adeyinka, Dauti, Ribeiro

This final league game of a disappointing season, kicked off at Harlington in splendid sunshine at the slightly earlier time of 10.30am.

Romeo Akinola captained the Rangers side and Tyla Dickinson had to replace Myles Bowman in goal.

The Terriers had the first real effort of the morning when a decent shot was blocked by an R’s defender.

Rangers replied soon after when an effort was poked just wide of the upright, following a good run down the left-wing. Darnell Goather-Braithwaite shot past the post from the subsequent corner.

Chances continued at each end with Huddersfield going close and for the R’s, Francis-Adeyinka burst through the middle, but didn’t lay it off to Mus Dauti in space to his right, and his shot lacked power.

Jardel Francis-Adeyinka went very close with a dipping shot that just evaded the crossbar.

QPR did take the lead on 28 minutes. Mus Dauti won the ball and proceeded to strike it into the bottom corner.

The R’s almost doubled their lead when Goather-Braithwaite received a superb pass, but the Huddersfield custodian managed to save his effort. Whilst at the other end, a Rangers defender headed off the line.

Goather-Braithwaite burst through, and passed the ball wide to Ribeiro, who then knocked it back. His low drive ended up in the keeper’s gloves.

A Huddersfield player roamed freely through the box and Dickinson saved his shot at the near post and the follow-up effort was fired back at him. The R’s keeper managed to knock the ball up which then clipped the bar. Mr Nketiah decided to award a goal kick?

Half-time: 1-0. Not a dirty encounter by any means, but the game had been peppered with free kicks.

After the break the R’s started strongly but the visitors soon picked up their game. Another free header, this time from a free kick, ended up in Tyla Dickinson’s gloves at the near post.

Rangers were now under pressure from a series of attacks. Another free header, following a dangerous cross from the right, was saved by a well-positioned Tyla Dickinson.

Rhys Springer-Downes went on a great run, and despite being under pressure, his momentum took him on to force a corner.

Huddersfield switched keepers with Owen Brooke replacing Luke Mewitt.

Goather-Braithwaite stayed down for some time and then had to be led away, but after some treatment he was able to run it off.

Springer-Downes made a good block following another free header. But the Terriers equalised in the 86th minute, from yet another free header, after we had lost possession from a drag-back.

The Town player pushed out wide and Dominic Tear’s cross towards the far post was headed in by George Danaher.

The visitors got their winner a couple of minutes later when Cedwyn Scott finished from an acute angle inside the box.

Paul Furlong had introduced Marcus Brooks on the hour-mark and was soon bursting down the left-wing at speed.

Charley Kendal had come on ten minutes later to replace Jardel Francis-Adeyinka.

The Saturday Morning Crew also included Alan Barnes and Roger Stokes.

Steve Russell