QPR U23 (2) – Watford U23 (1)

U23 Professional Development League

Team: Ingram, Kakay, Williams, Borysiuk (Manning), Paul, Hamalainen, Shodipo (Clarke), El Khayati, Mackie (Crichlow), Eze, Robinson

Sub Not Used: Herdman

The team sheet included at No. 9, Jamie Mackie, making his long-awaited return from injury and listed at No. 11, was Arsenal trialist Tyrell Robinson on the left-wing.

The visitors took the lead within a minute or so when an unmarked Ogo Obi put the ball over Matt Ingram.

Rangers were soon looking for an equaliser and went close when Nasser El Khayati let fly from outside the ‘D’ and saw his dipping effort bounce off the crossbar.

The R’s did level soon after following a good passing move, when Olamide Shodipo curled the ball into the far corner.

Whilst at the other end, Matt Ingram stopped a powerful shot with his chest. He was injured in the follow-up after clashing with the Watford forward who then immediately signalled for the physio! Thankfully, after receiving some treatment, he was okay to continue.

Rangers took the lead after 20 minutes when Tyrell Robinson side-footed the ball, low and hard, into the net following Eberechi Eze’s corner.

Prior to a Rangers throw-in, Mr Pollard booked the Hornets No.6. Then Niko Hamalainen was shown a yellow card after a Watford player was taken out and then another went down in the area. Playing on, their goal attempt closely evaded the post.

Chris Paul then became the fourth player to be booked in the first 30 minutes!

Olamide Shodipo temporarily switched wings and Eze went on a great run through the middle, beating players and his low strike came off the post.

The visitors headed just over the bar as Matt Ingram attempted to grab the ball and another effort narrowly whizzed past the far post. Then, Ogo Obi faced Matt Ingram, one-on-one, and the R’s custodian made a superb save from close range, diving to his left, he put the ball out for a corner.

Looking up, Ariel Borysiuk then pulled the trigger and the ball came off the top of a defender’s head. Another Watford player was booked, seemingly for a foul he had committed earlier.

Half-time: 2-1. Rangers were the better side, but it has to be said that the visitors managed to open up the QPR defence too many times.

Tony Fernandes was spotted and he must have recently arrived as he called out for the half-time score. Ian Holloway was also in attendance and after the interval he made his way over to the bench.

Ollie was soon blaring out instructions to all areas of the pitch. Rangers had a couple of good efforts in the early stages, courtesy of Jamie Mackie and Eberechi Eze.

Matt Ingram made a great save after 60 minutes when he managed to palm away Perriera’s powerful drive. A Watford player then became the sixth name to go in Mr Pollard’s book. This was followed by Ariel Borysiuk and Olamide Shodipo, being replaced by Ryan Manning and Ruddi Clarke respectively.

Andrew Thomas palmed away an angled shot and R’s full-back Jack Williams made an outstanding block from a free kick when he dived forward from the Rangers defensive wall.

Jamie Mackie had been replaced by Gianni Crichlow in the 67th minute and a total of nine players were booked, which included five from QPR and four of the visitors.

Steve Russell