Football League Jubilee Fund – 19th August 1939: QPR v Northampton Town

Team: Allen, McColgan, Jefferson, Lowe, Barr, March, McEwan, Mallett, Mangnall, Fitzgerald, Bonass

Attendance: 5,000

At the start of the 1938/39 season Rangers had been involved in two Football League Jubilee Fund matches against Northampton Town. A year later, the R’s played them again in a one-off at Loftus Road.

The Marylebone Mercury reported on the match the following week:

‘Despite hot weather Rangers and Northampton served up interesting fare in the Jubilee Fund match at Loftus Road on Saturday. Rangers won on their merits, and the display pleased the 5,000 present.

Chief interest centred in the appearance of four newcomers in the Rangers ranks. All did well and Rangers ‘ hopes of a successful season appear more than justified.

All eyes were on David Mangnall, the ex-Millwall star, who was making his debut for the Rangers and it was his brilliant pass that gave Fitzgerald the opportunity to open the score after two minutes play.


Of Mangnall it may truly be said that he does not appear to have lost any of his old ability, but for the rest of the game little was seen of him. Not surprisingly, he was content to take things fairly easily.

Bonass, the new left-winger scored the second goal from a shot which Jones, the Northampton goalkeeper should have saved. Apart from this effort Bonass did not have a good match. Pattison is likely to make a strong challenge for this position.

Both the other newcomers, Barr and McColgan, were impressive and the latter certainly looks like keeping his place. A fearless type of player, he certainly made a good impression. Barr also is definitely a capture. He kept a tight rein on Melaniphy, the Northampton centre-forward.

All the old stagers did well. Allen kept a sound goal and Jefferson and Lowe were outstanding, while Mallett and Fitzgerald shone in attack.

Rangers led 3-0 at the interval, their third goal coming from a penalty converted by Fitzgerald. Northampton rallied in the second-half and scored from Melaniphy and Jennings.’

The R’s were set to face Watford at Loftus Road the following Saturday in the opening league match. The Third Division (South) was later suspended after just three matches.

Steve Russell

(Dave Mangnall is featured above. My thanks to Colin Woodley for unearthing the match report)