QPR U18 (0) – Hull City U18 (1)

U18 Professional Development League 2

Team: Todd, Matthews, Williams, Donnellan (Bettache), Arthur, Fox (Eales), Crichlow, Folkes, Darbyshire, Clarke (Alfa), Bowler

Subs Not Used: Mesias, Dauti

I was informed upon arrival at the gate that I couldn’t access the training ground until 10.30am. Find all this nonsense totally unnecessary.

The U18’s had lost their opening game 3-2 at Huddersfield the previous week. Paul Furlong made a couple of changes for the visit of Hull City.

The first decent effort fell to the visitors when the Hull player was allowed time to compose himself and his shot flew just over the bar. This was followed by Dan Darbyshire side-footing the ball just wide of the post after an excellent run down the left-wing.

Jeremy Arthur put a fabulous pass through the middle to set up Dan Darbyshire but he took the ball a bit too wide and his shot was saved with the keeper’s legs. At the other end a dipping shot just cleared the crossbar.

A good run by Gianni Crichlow through the centre of the Tigers defence, resulting in him holding his shot, before firing wide. The R’s were denied a penalty after a blatant shove in the back of a Rangers player.

A dangerous, curling ball into the 6-yard box was put behind. The superb corner then found an unmarked Ruudi Clarke who belted the ball on target but a diving save from the Hull custodian denied him. Half-time: 0-0.

With the ball drifting away from him, Lewis Todd sprung full-length to make a superb save. From the resulting corner, the ball hung in the air, a free header followed and the ball was cleared off the line.

Rangers had another good shout for a penalty and went close when the Hull keeper made a great save from a stinging shot which had followed a corner.

The visitors had the ball in the net after Lewis Todd had misread a cross. The ball was headed into the net but was ruled offside.

Around 17 minutes from time, with the QPR defence all over the place, the visitors scored the decisive goal. After beating the offside trap, the ball was slotted in by Luke Lofts.

Minutes later, a Rangers effort flew wide and then went even closer after the ball was squared but the recipient failed to fully connect. This allowed the keeper to go down and smother the ball with ease. Final score: 0-1.

As for the second-half changes, Eales and Alfa had replaced Fox and Clarke respectively around the hour mark. Fifteen minutes later Bettache was introduced at the expense of Leo Donnellan

Hull worked hard for their win and although chances were created, the R’s really should have produced more on target.

Chris Ramsey looked on and the Saturday Morning Crew included; Alan Barnes, Clive Kingham, Roger Stokes, Chris Hewitt and Ron Hill.

Steve Russell