Hanwell Town (0) – QPR U18 (0)

Team: Joe Lumley, Darnell Furlong, Jordan Buck, Brandon Comley, Harly Wise, Cole Kpekawa, Conor Hubble, Abdul Adegbola, Michael Petrasso, Petros Skapetis, David Fitzpatrick.

Looking down the team sheet I noticed that the Hanwell squad included our ex-Youth team player, Terry Smith who was listed at No.6. Of the 21 named R’s players I knew around half including Darnell Furlong who I had previously seen playing in midfield, but on this occasion he took up a full-back position.

On a hot, sunny evening, the match was scheduled for 7pm, but kicked off 9 minutes late and, with no PA announcements, it was some time before our full starting line-up could be scribbled down in my note book (thanks to Alan Barnes and Rob Bennett).

The R’s created a number of chances early on and one of the best of these followed a cross from Conor Hubble and Petros Skapetis just managed to get his head to the ball, forcing the Hanwell keeper to make a superb finger-tip save. A couple of minutes later, their keeper was forced into making another save from a good shot from Abdul Adegbola.

Then, following good work by Furlong and excellent movement by Petrasso, the Hanwell keeper did well to save a powerful shot on target. The Rangers side were looking very fit and were certainly having the best of it. They really should of been in front by the time that Mr Evans blew the half-time whistle.

Into the 2nd half and Rangers created another good goal scoring opportunity, but the shot was aimed straight at the Hanwell custodian. A Conor Hubble corner resulted in a Hanwell defender clearing the ball agonisingly just over the crossbar. Meanwhile at the other end, the home side missed a golden opportunity to take the lead, but the ball was put well wide from close range. Earlier Abdul Adegbola had gone off and three more R’s players soon followed who we think were replaced by; Tobi Adekunle. Aaron Mitchell and Osman Kuka ?

Rangers continued to dominate the game and create chances. Petros Skapetis got himself into a dangerous position, but he knocked the ball just wide of the post. Play was held up after two Hanwell players had collided.

It was the turn of the home side to go close when a shot flew just over the bar. There were two further R’s substitutions, one of which was Ryan Young who replaced Conor Hubble. Then Brandon Comley left the field and there was also a change of keepers with Mark Smith coming on for Joe Lumley with around 6 minutes remaining.

Although it looked like the game was heading for a goalless draw, the deadlock could still of been broken in the closing stages. A free kick from just outside the ‘D’ stretched their keeper and finally when Tobi Adekunle blasted one just over after he received the ball in a wide-left position.

The R’s deserved to have won the game comfortably, but it finished 0-0. The attendance was something between 250 and 300 and I really don’t understand why the match had to be played on the same evening as the game at Aldershot ?

Steve Russell