QPR U18 (2) – Huddersfield Town U18 (1)

FA Youth Cup 3rd Round

Team: Deane, Downes, Walker, Champion, Browne, Sendles-White, Sutherland, Simmonds, Gibbons, Henry-Francis, Andrade

Subs: Trani, Monthe, Webb, Daly, Hubble

Attendance: 639

On a bitterly cold evening in W12, the R’s lined up in a 4-5-1 formation. The visitors had the first decent chance of the game when their forward got in front of Jake Downes, but he headed the ball wide. It soon became evident who the Huddersfield playmaker was. Everything revolved around their No.7, Duane Holmes, who looked a very decent player.

Rangers then went close when Bradley Simmonds screwed the ball just past the far post with a shot/pass across the 6 yard box. After a well taken free kick out on the right flank, Frankie Sutherland got himself into a good position, but he headed the ball wide of the post. It was the R’s who took the lead in the 22nd minute after good work by Marcel Henry-Francis. A ball from Jamie Sendles-White found Frankie Sutherland and Bruno Andrade met his great cross with a powerful header that flew into the back of the nnet.

Huddersfield equalised 5 minutes later. The ball was given away in midfield and that man Duane Holmes fed Max Leonard who thumped the ball into the back of the net from 25 yards. 1-1 and the game ebbed and flowed. Following a good challenge, Rangers counter-attacked which resulted in Bruno Andrade being tripped, the culprit being booked and the physio coming on.

A succession of bookings then followed. A second Huddersfield player was booked after a crude challenge from behind. Then a third was shown yellow after kicking the ball away. Frankie Sutherland was then fouled from behind and to my surprise he was the one who was booked !!! Maybe Mr Wood thought that he had gone down too easily ? The worst consequence of this decision was that the visitors almost took the lead from the resulting free kick. It was taken just inside the Rangers half and the Huddersfield runner wasn’t picked up. Two added minutes were signalled and it finished all square at half-time.

Steve Gallen brought on Callum Webb at the expense of Jordan Gibbons. Gareth Deane is very good with his precise diagonal goal kicks, something I’ve seen him do many times. Accordingly, this tactic found Frankie Sutherland who ran through three players and his powerful shot brought out an acrobatic save from Lloyd Allinson.

Around the hour mark, Rangers got what was to be the winning goal. Bradley Simmonds’ shot was saved, but Frankie Sutherland was following up and he made no mistake hitting the ball on the half-volley. Rangers had been the better side since the break and deserved to be in front.

At the other end, there was some good defending by Ben Browne when he neatly cleared his lines, but Rangers were still having the best of it and they continued to create chances. Marcel Henry-Francis belted the ball low and hard which Lloyd Allinson managed to parry away. Then the ball was kicked off the line, but the referee blew for an infringement. Another shot finished just wide after a good run by Bruno Andrade into the penalty area. Then he was fouled on the edge of the box and the free kick was kept out with a remarkable save by Lloyd Allinson diving to his left.

Gareth Deane slipped over a couple of times when he attempted to take a goal kick as the temperature continued to drop. Mr Wood reached for his pocket after a bad lunge at Frankie Sutherland. Following another good move, Marcel Henry-Francis’ shot was well saved by the keeper and the ball went over the crossbar for a corner. From the corner, the ball ended up in the net, but was disallowed for hand-ball. The last effort on goal of note saw Bruno Andrade spin round and his shot narrowly cleared the bar. After three added minutes the referee blew up for full time.

Gareth Deane’s father was sitting behind me and it was nice to have a chat with him. Also in attendance were Jamie Mackie and Kieron Dyer. Fitz Hall was also spotted. Thanks to Joe English for the lift back to South Harrow.

Steve Russell

One thought on “QPR U18 (2) – Huddersfield Town U18 (1)

  1. First half the boys played some lovely stuff and it seemed the only tactic used to stop them was by fouling.
    Some of the fouls were cynical as well and the two footed lunge by the No8 was atrocious. They did tire near the end but their team ethic shone through.Good luck in the next round.

Comments are closed.